Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Health Vagina Sex Periods Std Feminism
Molly Longest / Her Campus
Wellness > Health

My Experience With Cloth Pads for Periods

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

I have been curious for a long time on how reusable period stuff work. Since I had always prefered to use single used pads I felt it was time to find an eco friendly option to switch to. Transitioning to cloth pads from single use pads was a process. There are so many options out there, different patterns, styles, sizes, materials, that it took bit to find out the one I wanted to try and actually commit to it. Since public awareness has grown on the topic there are many eco-friendly options for feminine care to choose from. 

I found cloth pads very easy to use. The set I got from ImseVimse, have a snap fastener to secure the pad to the panties. To keep the pad in place, you need panties that are comfortable but keep their shape when wearing them. There is no worring about leaking, but you will need to select the right size for you. Too small and short pad will leak, for example due to your sitting position or while you are sleeping. My favorite pad size beacame the large (33×8.5cm) in my starter kit, although I thought it was ridiculously long, as the other sizes were small (19x7cm) and regular (25×8,5cm). These cloth pads that I purched are 100% organic cotton and have one layer of PUL (polyrethane laminated polyester). 

For me cloth pads are super comfortable. They are breathable and those I use have only materials that are safe for humans. There is no smell and no leaking if you’ve chosen the correct size. As for other comfort issues, it is not that diffucult to change a new pad when you are on the go. Just remember to take a small plastic bag with you to put the used pad in.

Washing the pads is simple. You absolutely can wash other items in the washing machine at the same time as the pads, but I still prefer darker colors than white. After using the pad it is recommended to first rinse it with cold water and then keep it wet and let it soak before washing, in a bucket of water for example. But it is not necessery to rinse or soak at all before washing, the steps just help to prevent stains. One thing to remember is to never use fabric softer, because that will ruin the absorption of the pad. Still, follow the instructions that come with your pads on how to take care of them. 

All in all these cloth pads have been a game-changer for me. Switching to cloth pads made my vagina as well as mind enjoy my periods more, since the pads no longer have unbreathable plastic, chemicals and perfumes. I wish I would have try it before! I dare you to try if you are even a tiny bit curious. Happy moon days!   

I am studying theology in the University of Helsinki. My interests vary from Asian culture to spirituality and self growth. I hope I can share the stories, people and new thoughts about the world and write enjoyable articles.
Helsinki Contributor