This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Istanbul is the heart of the ancient Ottoman empire and luckily for us students, you can easily find cheap flights and hotels right smack in the center of the gorgeous city.

Some of the must-see places in Istanbul include the ancient Blue Mosque, Hagia Sophia, gorgeous Topkapi Palace, and the Hippodrome. If you’d like to see the city from another angle, take a cruise on the breezy Bosphorus.

As for food, you should definitely order fish because the Bosphorus offers fresh fish daily to local restaurants. Be sure to have a glass of hot apple tea with baklava as well – you won’t be disappointed!

Istanbul is the city of beautiful mosques, bright colors, and good food. It’s the perfect weekend getaway (you can squeeze all the sights mentioned into a three-day trip)!

An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.
Helsinki Contributor