Lyrics to Your Heart: My Top 4 Finnish Songs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

I got inspired by the TV program in Finland called “Vain Elämää” (a show that gathers famous artists to spend a week together to reminisce their careers and to perform each others’ songs) to list my personal favorite Finnish songs. They have lyrics that really touch my heart. These are the songs to listen when you need empowerment, comfort and new perspective to your demanding situation or emotions. There’s raw truth in Finnish lyrics which speak from heart to heart. I found many Finnish songs truly magical because they touch something unknown, something very deep inside. Without further rambling here are the top 4 from my list.

1. Jenni Vartianen -Täydellinen

This song is Jari Sillanpää’s song which Vartiainen did a remake of in Vain Elämää season 7. The lyrics are like a serenade to the significant other. This is the song to listen to when you are in love and want to dive into those ticklish and exciting feelings. When listening to the song you just can’t help but smile and enjoy. The harmony in the song and Jenni’s voice make a beautiful combination. Vartiainen is so good at expressing feelings and really makes the audience also feel the emotions from the song.

2. Samuli Edelmann –Ei mitään hätää

Ei mitään hätää is a comforting and soothing piece which tells you not to worry about being vulnerable and weary. Some days you may feel like you are alone. Those days even little mistakes or misfortune can feel extra bad and make you feel down. The song is just about that when you are already tired, and you must keep on going. Loneliness, sadness, emptiness and exhaustion are all part of the song lyrics. But there’s light in the chorus. Someone is always there for you, rooting for you, loving you no matter what happens. In my opinion Edelmann sings about a guardian angel who is forever with you to protect and always help you.

3. Juha Tapio –Rakastettu

Your real name is Loved One. Tapio is a great songwriter and composer. He has background in gospel music, the song has a great realization about human value, it is priceless. In the chorus Tapio sings with Johanna Kurkela, whose voice is unique and beautiful.  The lyrics talk about that time when life feels like it’s against you but still gives you reminders that you are being taken care of. Everyone is loved by God, the universe, or whatever you want to call it.

4. Valovuosi –Aurinkokuningatar

When you need a ton of compliments (and you won’t get enough from a few) listen to this song as it is a song for you. The positive vibes in this song are next level. You got the power, you are beautiful, you are free, and you are everything. You are the sun queen and just shine light everywhere. You are the absolute Goddess who is owning her power and being the gorgeous that she is.

You are loved, forever from the day you were born and even before that. These songs are here to remind you about the greatness, amazing power and love you have inside. You are, absolutely, perfect as you are. You are accepted thoroughly. This is the message that I wish everyone would hear. When you truly feel it, you can put all the burden down that you are carrying. All the useless doubting, hating and pitying yourself or others. Remember that there’s hope in every situation.

Picture from Pixabay

I am studying theology in the University of Helsinki. My interests vary from Asian culture to spirituality and self growth. I hope I can share the stories, people and new thoughts about the world and write enjoyable articles.
Helsinki Contributor