London on a Shoestring Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

As one of the most expensive cities in the world, a holiday in London might do quite a bit of damage to your wallet. But believe it or not, it’s quite possible to visit the capital on a student budget – here a few tips about things to do on the cheap and how to get better deals:

1. Plan your trip in advance

Often travelling outside of peak periods such as university holidays can save you a heap of money on airfares and accommodation.

Try Couchsurfing, BeWelcome or Airbnb for accommodation, just remember to always keep your personal safety in mind and to carefully check the review of any potential hosts or accommodation and read the fine print before booking anything.

2. Take a Free Tour of London

Most of the tour guides are students or young people who ask for a donation at the end of the tour if you enjoyed yourself. See the sights, hear some fascination history and support fellow students by taking a tour on foot. Click here for the website.

3. Visit the Museum of London –  entry is free

This museum is a hidden gem and it tells the story of the city of London and its people from prehistoric to modern times. The People’s City from the 1850s-1940s exhibition is particularly worth a visit for anyone interested in the Victorian Age. Free gallery tours are offered daily. Click here for the website.

4. See The Sky Garden

London’s highest public garden is situated in the famous glass-domed building of 20 Fenchurch Street and consists of three storeys beautifully landscaped public gardens, restaurants, observations decks and an open air terrace offering stunning views. Be sure to book well in advance, as tickets run out quickly. Click here for the website.

5. Have a meal at Camden Market

This is definitely worth a visit with friends for a meal or even just to enjoy the aromas of exotic cuisine outside at the food market or the diverse range of handicrafts and confectionery sold inside the market halls. The market tends to get very crowded on the weekends, so try to head their early in the day to avoid the crush. Click here for the website. 

6. Last-minute theatre tickets

Check out last-minute theatre tickets for many popular London West End and Broadway shows, the matinee tickets are usually the cheapest and easiest to come by. Click here for the website.

Do you have any tips on cheap to-dos in London? Let us know in the comments below!

Remember to check out our travel guide to Paris and read about the pros and cons of travelling alone vs. travelling with friends.

Helsinki Contributor