food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
food snack popcorn movie theater 33129?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Felicity Warner / HCM

Just a Girl Recommending Some Richard Curtis Films

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Love is in the air. Valentine’s Day is almost upon us, and it is time to get in the mood for the special day. And what would be a better way to get some instant love in your life than watching a few Richard Curtis’s romantic films? So, grab your friend, relative, significant other or pet, and enjoy these flicks! 

Richard Curtis (b. 1956) is a British film director, screenwriter and producer. He has brought a myriad of romantic films into our cinemas. Curtis has also worked on some TV shows, so check them out too.

Here are a few romantic recs that Curtis has worked on in one way or another:

The Tall Guy (1989) – This Curtis’s screenwriter film debut will offer you some laughs. 

Four Weddings and a Funeral (1994) – A film that will make you laugh and cry.

Notting Hill (1999) – Just a girl standing in front of a boy… Enough said. 

Bridget Jones’s Diary (2001) and Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason (2004) – If you do not want to be all by yourself, grab some popcorn and enjoy this Valentine’s Day with Bridget.

Love Actually (2003) – Christmas may be over, but this film is perfect for the February feels, too. 

About Time (2013) – Some magical realism to spice up your day. 

Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again (2018) – Escape these cold Finnish days to a warmer place with this Mamma Mia! sequel. 

Yesterday (2019) – Some Beatles songs and a cameo by Ed Sheeran will surely put a smile on your face. 

And if you are not that into romance this time:

Bean (1997) and Mr. Bean’s Holiday (2007) – Have a laugh and check out these classic comedy films.

The Boat That Rocked (2009) – If you feel like jumping into the 1960s, check out this film. 

War Horse (2011) – This is perfect for you, if you are more into drama films.

Trash (2014) – This drama thriller will make your heart race. 

Currently studying at the University of Helsinki with a major in English. When I'm not studying, you can find me reading and obsessing over books, traveling, binge-watching sitcoms and talking about my dogs and human rights.
Helsinki Contributor