Judging the Book by Its Cover: Reading Tips for Collegiettes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Sometimes it’s okay to judge the book by its cover – but usually it doesn’t provide us with an accurate view of the contents of the book. Here are our reading tips for 2015 so you won’t get stuck at the book store trying to deduct the story from the cover of the novel.

Lena Dunham’s (creator of the hit television series Girls) autobiography Not That Kind of Girl is brutally honest, hilarious, exciting, and fresh – it’ll give you anything and everything you could ever want from a book.

Rainbow Rowell’s Fangirl might look a bit childish on the outside but the story is endearing and funny…and totally relatable to any geek girl!

John Green is always a good choice for an author: his books are relatable, touching and insightful and Will Grayson, Will Grayson is nothing less.

If you’re interested in short stories and fantasy, then Neil Gaiman’s Fragile Things is the book for you! The stories are weird and beautiful, and extremely addictive.

Other reading tips include Outlander series, Mindy Kaling’s autobiography and any books about mermaids and wizards (because they’re cool, right?).

An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.