This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Traveling is one of the best things to do in life. Learning about new cultures, meeting different kinds of people and exploring this beautiful world is something you can never get enough of. And this spring and summer I was ecstatic to have the chance to spend a few months in one of my favorite destinations – London.

London is full of places to explore, exciting things to do and interesting people to meet. In addition to strolling around eclectic Camden Town, walking up and down Primrose Hill and shopping until my feet hurt, I got to experience ten breath-taking musicals in this vibrant city. Yes, you read correctly. Ten musicals. What can I say? I have always been a musical geek, and the bright lights of West End and New York City’s Broadway can never blind me. I remember when I visited London for the first time as a kid and how I was mesmerized by the costumes, the stages and the atmosphere that had taken over the theaters. West End is truly the place to be for any musical lover. And for us students, there are a lot of great, affordable ways to bag a few cheap tickets for West End musicals. For instance, there are many box offices around the city that sell low-priced tickets, and you can also buy cheaper tickets online.

Musicals have always been a celebration of music and dance. It is a form of theatrical performance that allows the characters to express themselves through songs. It is a combination of engaging dialogue and beautiful melodies. Like many things, musicals have changed a lot over time. Fresh ideas and interesting topics have guaranteed that the world of musicals is, and will always be, ever-changing and evolving.

Currently, musicals that celebrate equality, diversity and uniqueness are in demand. Everybody’s Talking About Jamie and Kinky Boots are examples of these kinds of musicals. They both encourage their audiences to express themselves no matter what. Everybody’s Talking About Jamie tells the story of an English boy who wants to become a drag queen, whereas Kinky Boots focuses on a shoe factory that decides to make glorious shoes for drag queens. So, inclusion is the word.

Although musicals are still quite rare productions in Finnish theaters, we have the amazing opportunity to go see Kinky Boots at Helsinki City Theatre this fall. Furthermore, you can also enjoy Billy Elliot the Musical in Tampere this year. 

So, put your glitter on and strut your way to the theater to see these award-winning, ground-breaking musicals! And if possible, buy the brochure so that you can always treasure the day you saw the musical!

My Top 10 West End Musicals (at least for now – this list changes daily)

1. Billy Elliot the Musical
  2. Les Misérables
  3. Mamma Mia!
  4. Dreamgirls
  5. The Lion King
  6. The Book of Mormon
  7. Wicked
  8. Disney’s Aladdin
  9. Legally Blonde
  10. 42nd Street
Currently studying at the University of Helsinki with a major in English. When I'm not studying, you can find me reading and obsessing over books, traveling, binge-watching sitcoms and talking about my dogs and human rights.
Helsinki Contributor