Introducing The Banshees: an all-women gaming group

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

StarCraft II is a real-time strategy video game that was released in 2010 by Blizzard Entertainment. It features three races: terran (the humans), protoss (a humanoid species with highly advanced technology) and zerg (a swarm of bug-like aliens). The races fight each other for the domination of the galaxy. StarCraft II is usually played in 1v1 form where both players choose a race and then get to command an army consisting of different units. The goal is to destroy the army and the structures of the other player to the point where they have no choice but to surrender. StarCraft II is played competitively around the world and the very best players make a living by attending different tournaments.

But this article isn’t about StarCraft II, it’s about a certain community within the StarCraft II scene: The Banshees. A Banshee is a unit in the game that’s voiced by a woman, hence the name. The Banshees are a group that consist of women who play StarCraft II or are in any way interested in it. The term “woman” is completely based on self-identification and the group is a safe space to for example trans women as well.

The purpose of the Banshees is simply to “connect women in StarCraft” as is stated in their Twitter bio (@TheBanshees_SC2). In their Discord server, the members of the group get to for example sign up for all-women tournaments, look for practise partners, promote their Twitch streams, ask for help regarding StarCraft II or just chat about anything that comes to mind. All in all, the group provides a safe space for women to share their love for StarCraft II without having to worry about being diminished or made fun of.

The StarCraft II scene in general treats women quite alright. There are several professional players who are women as well as a well-known female caster and tournament host, all of whom are usually respected quite alright. Normal fans and players who happen to be women are also generally treated respectfully, though sadly this is not always the case. Some StarCraft II community members diminish even the professional women players doubting their talent based on their gender, let alone players to whom StarCraft II is just a hobby. Women are also often sexualised and some woman players have even faced sexual harassment. It is thus understandable why some players might prefer training with other women.

This is why the Banshees is such a great community. In the Discord chat, anyone can ask for advice without having to fear being told they can’t play because of their gender. Same goes for attending tournaments; when the tournament is all-female no one has to be scared of failure out of fear that it would be accounted for by their gender. And most importantly, being part of The Banshees gives you a feeling of belonging and acceptance that is priceless.

The purpose of this article is by no means to shame the men involved in the StarCraft II community, most of whom are very respectful. Rather it is to let the woman gamers out there know that a community like this exists. If you haven’t yet tried StarCraft II, I would strongly encourage you to, it’s a great game. And to join the Banshees you really don’t have to be a Master’s league player. I’m personally not very good at the game but I enjoy it all the same and there are people in the group who don’t themselves even play but rather watch tournaments… And that’s okay! And if StarCraft II is really not your thing, maybe you could even find a group of your own within some other gaming community!

Lotta Nieminen

Helsinki '24

I study social science and when I don't I really like to look at butterflies, take naps and think about how I'm going to make the world a better place some day.
Helsinki Contributor