Interstellar: a Mind-Bending Journey through Space

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Interstellar (2014) is Christopher Nolan’s 11th film, which takes place in a not-so-distant future where drought has brought humankind to its knees and made most vegetables and plants, except for maize, nearly impossible to cultivate. Cooper (Matthew McConaughey), an ex-NASA pilot, is busy trying to ensure the well-being of his corn crops as well of his children when a strange chain of events leads him to discover a secret NASA operation with the purpose of finding habitable planets in outer space for Earthlings to colonize. With no idea whether he will see his children again or what these exoplanets might hold in store, Cooper packs his bags and joins Dr. Brand (Anne Hathaway) and other space pilots for a journey that, if successful, could save mankind from extinction.

It is a fact universally acknowledged that a Nolan film cannot be easily understood without a flow chart of the plot twists at hand, and Interstellar makes no exception. The slow and cozy start makes way for a mind-bending adventure filled with worm holes, gravitational anomalies, and the terrifying effects of time dilation. The latter are presented with merciless fidelity to the nature of space-time: a mere moment in one location might translate to years in another, and the courageous astronauts have to deal with their loved ones on Earth aging faster than themselves.

Interstellar is a true treat for both the ears and the eyes: the viewer gets to behold gruesomely beautiful exoplanets and breathtaking views of the vastness of space. Hans Zimmer’s powerful score relies mostly on heavy and powerful organ sounds which make the strangeness and beauty of outer space seem all the more majestetic.

While the coldness and indifference of space create an interesting contrast with Cooper’s love for his family, the ”I just wanna see my kids again” cliche makes the film seem a bit flat at times. The lessons of family values and the power of love that the film gives feel slightly forced and needless. The emotional strength of the film lies elsewhere: by giving you an overwhelming sense of what a tiny fraction of space we are inhabiting here on Earth, Interstellar makes you feel connected to the whole of human race.

A 22-year-old anthropology student from Helsinki. Music, photography, and poetry are close to my heart.