alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Make the Most of a Day Trip to Tartu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Tartu Ülikool – The University of Tartu

The only classical, biggest and most prestigious university in the country, it was established in 1632 by King Gustavus Adolphus of Sweden. The historical buildings of the university are included in the European Heritage Label. The university is a leading center of research and training that belongs to the top 1.2% of the world’s best universities.

Image Credit: Bernt Rostad via Flickr

Tartu Town Hall Square and The Kissing Students

Tartu Town Hall Square is a central square, surrounded by classical buildings and the most beautiful and romantic fountain known as the Kissing Students. The fountain built in 1948 is the most recognized symbols of Tartu and a popular place for newlyweds and their guests to come there for luck.

Image Credit: Anna Kyrylina

Sculptures

Tartu is indeed rich in sculptures. Sculpture Bronze Pig created by Mati Karmin in 2008 is a famous landmark outside the Tartu meat market depicting the various cuts of meat. Father and Son Sculpture, unveiled on Child Protection Day in 2004, was built by Ulo Oun. His wife states that the sculpture portrays the sculptor himself with their 18-month old son Kristjan. Another famous sculpture and spot for taking photos is the Sculpture of Oscar Wild and Eduard Vilde. Located in front of a Cafe Wilde, it was created by Tiiu Kirsipuu in 1999 and depicts two famous Irish and Estonian writers of the same generation having a witty chat on a bench.

Image Credit: neilalderney123 via Flickr 

Image Credit: Anant Shiv

Image Credit: Anant shiv

Tartu Mänguasjamuuseum – Tartu Toy Museum

Located in the heart of Tartu’s Old Town, it is the biggest toy museum in the Baltic States. The Toy Museum displays the art of toys manufacturing and shows the development of children’s culture. From wooden and porcelain toys, puppets from films and animated movies to the magical world of the dollhouses and Barbies, the museum has a lot to offer to both adults and their kids.  

Image Credit: Eesti.pl via Flickr

Püssirohukelder – The Gunpowder Cellar

Püssirohukelder or the Gunpowder Cellar is a present-day beer restaurant that treats its visitors to a unique menu full of traditional Estonian cuisine and its local beer. Located in an 18th-century gunpowder cellar (former fort) built by order of Catherine II of Russia in 1768-1778, the place was soon converted to a beer storage room. In the 1990s, it was considered a medieval restaurant until 2001 when it was reopened as a pub. The place is famous for its highest pub ceiling in the world (11 meters) and it proudly belongs to Guinness Book of World Records.

Image Credit: Wikimedia Commons     

Helsinki-based, Anna is an MA graduate in English Philology, an inspirational corporate English trainer at goFluent professional training language school, and a former Campus Correspondent/writer/social media manager at HC Helsinki. When Anna is not teaching and running her language blog @annalina.eng , she can usually be found practicing chillout Hatha yoga and dancing energetic Zumba. 
Helsinki Contributor