heart with pride
heart with pride
Original Illustration by Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

It’s Pride week in Finland y’all, hooray! And although we here in Helsinki are restricted from going all out on the celebrations this year (covid is such a big, stinking bummer!), we are still celebrating in whatever way we can! 

Just in case you’re new to the Pride scene, here’s a little background information: 

Pride, is a celebration of sexual identity that falls outside of the mainstream. Today, Pride events are held annually throughout the world to mark the Stonewall riots. It is the promotion of the self-affirmation, equality, dignity, and increased visibility of LGBTQIA people as a social group. LGBTQIA is an acronym meaning lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, intersex and asexual groups. To clarify on the possibly less familiar terms, queer is an umbrella term for non-straight people; intersex refers to individuals whose sex is not clearly defined due to genetic, hormonal or biological differences; and asexuality describes those who don’t experience sexual attraction.

In celebration of Pride week, we’re listing some resources for LGBTQIA+ people in Finland:

Seta

Seta is the leading Finnish LGBTI organisation. Their aims include making society more equal and changing legislation regarding LGBT+ rights. In their website, they list “advocacy, education, lectures, social work, youth and senior work” as their activities. If you’re looking information on what kind of activities Seta organises during Covid-19, take a look at what’s happening during the current special circumstances (link in Finnish).

Gender Diversity & Intersex Centre of Expertise

A part of Sera, Gender Identity & Intersex Centre of Expertise offers support to gender diverse people and their close ones, as well as to people questioning their gender. They organise e.g. peer support meetings and offer counselling.

Trasek

Trasek is the website to head to if you’re looking for more information on legislation and transitioning in Finland. 

The Current Status of Rights for Rainbow Families in Finland

Written in 2019, this link gives you up to date information on the rights of rainbow families in Finland. Things such as registered partnership, marriage equality and adoption are addressed here.

Sateenkaariperheet.fi (in Finnish)

This page is aimed at rainbow families, though unfortunately, it is only available in Finnish.

Sateenkaari Suomi FB

Sateenkaari Suomi is a Facebook group for LGBT+ people in Finland.

Although Pride is a wholly inclusive celebration, it is still important for straight people to understand the true purpose of the celebration. In order to be a respectful ally of the rainbow community, we here at Her Campus Helsinki would like to pass on a few kind and helpful tips by Seta on how to be courteous during this time. 

1. Pride is not meant for your entertainment. Please, don’t dominate the space yourself, but make and demand space for members of the rainbow community. Let the voices of the marginalised be heard!
  2. Respect self-determination and do not assume gender or sexual orientation. Not everyone chooses to define themselves to one particular mould.
  3. Pride is not only a celebration of love, but also a human rights event. Find out about current goals.
  4. Don’t set standards! Do not comment, criticise, or make assumptions based on appearance or gender expression. Create safer spaces with your own actions and find out what this requires.
  5. Be an ally all year round. Donate, join organizations that promote equality, and intervene in gay and transphobic speech in your daily life.

From all of us here at Her Campus Helsinki we hope that, despite the current situation, you enjoy the 2020 Pride celebration, and most of all remember to spread the love. <3

HCXO

An English major, Campus Correspondent, feminist and aspiring literary scholar.
Carmen Eskin

Helsinki '22

I'm a postgraduate student of English philology and English literature at the Univerisity of Helsinki. Terry Pratchett is my one true love.