ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
ekaterina shevchenko ZLTlHeKbh04 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Gift Guide: Christmas Presents for the Men in Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

It can be tricky to buy presents for your boyfriend, dad, brother, or guy pal. It’s not always so easy to single out what they’re passionate about and what would be the best present for them. We’ve all sometimes heard the inevitable “Oh, I don’t really need or want anything”. Here we’ve listed some of our favorites to give to the men in our lives:

1. Games

Lots of guys, regardless of age, are into video games. If it’s for your significant other, why not get a multiplayer game that you can play together? There are lots of great titles and often the slightly older ones are discounted from the original (and probably fairly steep) price. Some of our favorite games include Little Big Planet (fun multiplayer), Pillars of Eternity (fantasy roleplaying game), and Soma (horror survival).

2. T-shirt or other clothing

There are guys who like to shop (or so we’ve been told), but many do it only out of necessity. Make their lives easier by getting a new item of clothing, so that they won’t have to. It can be a graphic T-shirt or, if they’re constantly complaining about the lack of gloves, hats, or belts, get the item that they’re missing.

3. Books

And not just any books. Not YA novels that you yourself might love, but books about things they are into (of course, if YA is what they’re into then opt for those). If they don’t like to read fiction, there are many great nonfiction options out there. If they love Alien movies, get an art book about Giger who created the look for alien. If they are into movies, get any of Mark Kermode’s books about film criticism.

4. Movies

If your dad or brother is a huge film buff, you could get them movie tickets or DVDs. There’s nothing better than catching up on movies during the holidays. Besides, who doesn’t want to go see the new Star Wars?

5. Music

Surprise your man with tickets to see his favorite artist. Or take your dad to see the band he liked back in the day (and no complaining about his lame music taste – it’s a present for him, after all). If you can’t dish out the money for concert tickets, buy a CD or two. Just make sure that they don’t already have them!

6. DIY presents

For those on a tight budget, DIY presents like paintings, self-knitted scarves, or even just offers to pet sit, can be great alternatives. If you’re the creative type, paint or draw something nice to brighten up your guy friend’s bachelor pad. Or give a ‘gift card’ to your dad with a promise to pet sit and water the plants when your parents are on a vacation. Remember that it’s the thought that counts, not the money you spend on the present.

7. Food

If you’re really stuck and have no ideas, why not give food? After all, the way to a man’s heart is through their stomach. Either treat them to a restaurant dinner or, if you’re on a budget, whip up a home cooked meal. Even a package of specialty coffee will do if they really love their caffeine.

An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.
Helsinki Contributor