This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Now is the time of the year to dig into the summer-job-hunting game. There are plenty of different employers out there looking for a good employee for their vacancy. Here are five steps to take you closer to getting a summer job.

First step: Update your CV

This is relevant if you have not touched your CV in a while. It is importabt to include accurate and professional-looking information and a good picture of you. Put all resent occupations and new skills in there and make sure everything is in order, which means the most resent job first, and work your way there to tell your further history in different jobs. Pro tip: if you really want to stand out from crowd make a video CV, where you video yourself talking about the things that you can offer to the open position.

Second step: Working hours suitable for you

By this I mean that you should make sure of the times when you are available for the new job. Go through your plans in your calendar and see if you have any appointments or trips, during which you will not be able to work. This also helps you to narrow down the jobs and see which place matches to your timetable.

Third step: Internet job hunting

Now it’s time to click on Google and make a search for summer job vacancies. I recommend using websites like duunitori.fi to have some sort of limit and trust in your search result. Write down in the search bar where you are looking for a job and the type of position or field. This takes time, but stay patient, because the more you scroll the more likely you will find the job you want!

Fourth step: Make the applications

Read carefully how the employer wants you to apply for the job. It can be through an online survey or by writing an email to them. They may also ask you to write an open application. Make sure that you answer to all of the questions and send the application before the deadline.

Fifth step: Be ready for the contact from the employee

After sending in the applications, you need to wait actively for the response. Check your email often and be prepared to answer to your phone. You may still need to go through an interview and preparational coaching for the job, but soon after this step you’ll be in for a new job!

Naturally, there will be more challanges along the way but this is a great start. Good luck in job-hunting!

I am studying theology in the University of Helsinki. My interests vary from Asian culture to spirituality and self growth. I hope I can share the stories, people and new thoughts about the world and write enjoyable articles.
Helsinki Contributor