Eyewear Trends: Best Glasses for Spring 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

A pair of specs can make an outfit. Whether you actually need the vision aid or just want to accessorize from head to toe, your glasses make a statement of your personal style. It’s easy to get lost in the fashion jungle, but no worries: HC Helsinki is here to help you update your eyewear according to the latest trends.

Soft & Sweet

This spring’s most delicious colour palette consists of pastel shades, such as pale blue, lavender, peach and dusty pink. Pick a matte pastel frame for a soft, feminine look.

50 Shades of Grey

You can’t go wrong with sophisticated grey frames. Try clean, natural and calming hues for a minimalistic effect, or play with patterns. Feel free to experiment with shapes, too. Grey keeps the look cool and professional.

Fantastic in Plastic

Acetate plastic frames, ranging from opaque to translucent, are no doubt the dominating trend of 2016. Combinations of metal and acetate are a practical and fashionable option. You should also keep an eye out for wooden frames and woodlike textures: at the moment, the selection is quite narrow, but if you manage to find the perfect wood-rimmed glasses, you’re sure to be a trendsetter.

Circular Shapes

The retro trend of round glasses continues. The look is both playful and glamorous, edgy and nerdy at the same time. Combine the round frames with classic patterns such as the tortoiseshell, or, if you feel adventurous, check out bold colours and animal prints.

Eye-CATching

Cat-eye glasses are not going anywhere. Oversized modern cat-eye frames, especially paired with rounded lenses, are guaranteed to turn heads this spring. Add some wow factor with a splash of colour – yes, that pink Barbie look from your childhood games is back.

Sideshow

Many of the spring favourites focus on the frame’s side elements from simple stripes to floral embellishments and glittery details. You don’t need much jewellery with these fancy eyeglass temples!

Sunglasses: One Step Ahead

Sunglass trends are along the same lines, just BIGGER and BOLDER. Alongside the circular and cat-eye sunnies there are funky geometrical shapes and classic aviators with a futuristic twist. Dark lenses rule, but you can choose freely from variety of mirror lenses, colourful lenses and ombre lenses.

Helsinki Contributor