Emmi Apponen: “Being negative takes much more energy than being positive”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

The ever so delightful Emmi Apponen is an English Philology major, currently enrolled in her sixth year at the University of Helsinki. She lives in Helsinki and works as a substitute teacher. Emmi’s pastimes include travelling in Sweden and challenging her limits at the gym. I had a quick chat with my dear friend to learn about her quirks and what makes her tick.

© Emmi Apponen

What did you have for breakfast today?

Today it was coffee, bread with cheese and viili  I have no idea what that is in English! [Nordic sour whole milk? Or maybe just “viili”! – Ed.]

If you were to be stranded on a desert island, which three movies would you take with you?

This is embarrassing, but it definitely would be some feel-good movies: Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Wedding Crashers and…I think the last one needs to be Cast Away, just to get some good advice.

Life is like a box of…

Little boxes, so take a look outside the box!

If you were able to meet any historical figure, dead or alive, real or fictional, who would be it be? And what would you talk about?

Being inspired by the North American Studies in the university I would like to meet Sacagawea, the Native American woman who helped Lewis and Clark in their expedition. I would like to listen to her ideas concerning identity and being a woman in her own culture. I think there is quite much to learn in the whole period of “discovering America”. It would be interesting to hear how she would “write back” her own history.

Any hidden talents or superpowers we should be aware of?

Yes, candy-munching – so keep all the sweets locked away when I come to visit!

What is the most embarrassing thing that has happened to you during a lecture?

Me and my friend Mari were given a talking-to after we had been caught playing hangman during a lecture. I think the word was: “I ain’t sayin’ she a gold digger.”

Puppies, kittens, or baby rhinos?

Baby rhinos, love those.

What color is this dress?

Photo from The Huffington Post

I know this, I have seen this…to me it is blue. No beige…blue it is.

What would be the first and foremost trick to surviving a tough day of teaching?

I have a few: a positive attitude, coffee and an afternoon nap (a long one). Moreover, it is important to not take yourself too seriously, especially when teaching in junior high school.

Does the Force run strong with you?

Since I use the Force for knowledge, I feel like I am a Jedi.

Any wisdom or personal motto you wish to share with our readers?

Being negative takes much more energy than being positive.

Helsinki Contributor