Career

The Easiest Way to Save on Flights as a Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Being an international student, one of my main goals while studying abroad is to travel around Finland and the rest of Europe as much as possible. Helsinki is a conveniently located city for traveling since Estonia, Sweden, and Russia are all so close – you don’t even need to use a plane – but for the countries a little further away, plane tickets can get pricey. As a student, however, your entitled to some great flight deals. If you have the travel bug, these three websites will help you save on your next trip!

1. StudentUniverse

StudentUniverse is a travel company that works with more than 90 airlines to bring students exclusive flight discounts. You have to submit proof you’re a student, but it’s easy to do. Once you’ve proved your eligibility, you’re free to book flights anywhere in the world. I recently purchased a direct ticket on StudentUniverse from Helsinki to the States for Christmas, and I saved roughly 500 euros on my ticket compared to if I had bought it from the airline itself.

2. STA Travel

STA Travel is another travel company to bring students discounts on flights. Use their app to search through local or international flight options or as a student, teacher, or adult. If you’re a student, though, you’ll want to hit the filter of your searches to include Blue Tickets. When the company first opened, they sold student tickets on blue paper. Now, they offer special student deals on certain flights or Blue Ticket fares. I’ve also used STA Travel to travel internationally, and they saved me a couple of hundred euros on an international flight.

3. Kiwi

Kiwi is not a student discount travel site, but the app and website can still be beneficial for students because it tells you the cheapest way to travel to your destination. Kiwi finds you flight deals, but they also tell you if a bus or train will be cheaper to use. This is especially handy when traveling between countries. A train ride might take a few more hours but save you hundreds!

Serena Lewis

Helsinki '21

Hi! I'm Serena! I'm studying Neuroscience at the University of Helsinki, and I'm originally from Colorado and Wyoming in the States. I hope to use my degree to help non-human animal welfare, but in my free time, I like to talk about fashion, travel, and movies!
Helsinki Contributor