DIYs from Valentine’s Day Roses

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Turning your Valentine’s Day roses into a beautiful cosmetic product is a great way to use up the roses and enjoy them a little longer. The best thing about these DIYs is that they are so easy to make.

For rose water you need:

2-3 roses (I had a tiny bottle so I used only one rose)

hot water

a spray bottle

I bought my roses from Lidl and the spray bottle was from Tiger to make this extra affordable, but you can use any old face mist bottle you have. First you need to shred the rose petals and put them into a cup. Then heat up the water and as it boils turn off the heat and pour onto the roses. Let it cool down completely. Then after it’s cooled down separate the rose petals from the water and pour the rose water into the spray bottle. And you are done!

These DIYs are inspired by Lavendaire on YouTube. (Check out her channel!) I didn’t get any color in my water, but Lavendaire got some very pink water from her roses. The color probably depends on what kind of roses you use. I recommend you buy the roses from a flower shop just to be safe. I also used only one rose, so that might have affected the result. Although I didn’t get pink rose water it still smells great. You can use the water to refresh your make up during the day or just apply it like a face mist.

For rose oil you need:

2-3 roses

2,5 dl grapeseed, olive or jojoba oil

hot water

a glass jar with lid

First shred the rose petals in to a bowl. Heat up the water in a pot. Take you jar and put about 2,5 dl of oil of your choice into the jar. Then swirl the petals into the oil. Place the lid over the jar, close it tight and place the jar into the hot water pot. When the water is cooled down remove the jar. Then let it sit at least 24 hours or longer (for stronger results). Finally, if you want you can separate the rose petals from the oil. This oil is great for nails, body or dry feet. It makes them super soft.

Bonus: Another way to enjoy roses is to dry them. Tie the rose from its stem to a hanger using a rubber band, the flower facing downwards. Leave it until it’s completely dry. Then you can cut the flower part from the stem and use the roses for decoration.

I am studying theology in the University of Helsinki. My interests vary from Asian culture to spirituality and self growth. I hope I can share the stories, people and new thoughts about the world and write enjoyable articles.
Helsinki Contributor