Curious about Breast Self-Examination? Come to our Event!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Are you curious about breast self-examination? Do you know why it’s important? Do you feel perhaps like you need more information on the subject?

A few months ago, we posted an article all about breast self-examination, in which Sonia Raunio, executive director of Tunne Rintasi ry, walked us through what breast self-examination actually is, and why we should care about it! 

However, it’s much better to learn by doing, rather than reading. For this reason, tomorrow, November 15, together with Tunne Rintasi ry and CISSI, the Organization for International Social Scientists, Her Campus Helsinki is hosting a workshop to learn exactly how this technique is carried out!

Tunne Rintasi ry is a Finnish association promoting breast self-examination and organizing events and training on the method. Their goal is to dispel fear associated with cancer while promoting awareness, as well as body positivity. CISSI is the Organization of International Social Scientists, determined to promote integration by organizing more events in English.  Breast cancer is the most common cancer in Finland and can affect both men and women. Breast self-examination is an easy method designed to get to know your body and to track changes in your breasts, and thus detect breast cancer before it spreads. 

We’ll start with a small information session/lecture with room for questions, followed by a workshop where participants get to try out self-examination with the help of cute weaved breasts! Light refreshments are provided and Her Campus at Helsinki overall patches will be sold at the event. All sexes are more than welcome to attend!  While cancer is a serious matter, breast self-examination is a positive approach, so don’t feel intimated to come along!

WHAT: Workshop on breast self-examination

WHERE: Weber, New Student House

WHEN: November 15th, 6.15pm

WHY: Because prevention is key!

Helsinki Contributor
Esther is majoring in Media and Communications. She likes reading, vegan food, and spending way too much time on social media.