This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Now that many of our courses and seminars have begun, we are all returning, or have already returned, to Helsinki. Although our studies take lots of our time, we still need to remember to relax and make time for some culture. So, what would be a better way to enjoy your day off than exploring museums, parks and the like? As we are students, our bank accounts probably do not offer the most beautiful sight, so below you can find some places where you can enjoy culture for free on certain days of the month.  

Museums

1. The Kiasma Museum is a modern art museum full of different kinds of exhibitions and unique works of art. Admission is free on the first Friday of every month. 

2. The National Museum of Finland is the perfect place to visit, if you want to learn more about Finland’s history (there is even a section focusing on our sauna culture). Admission is free on Fridays at 4-6 pm.

3. Sinebrychoff Art Museum is dedicated to some of the most appreciated artists in the world. Free admission on the first Wednesday of every month at 5-8 pm. 

4. Museum of Finnish Architecture can be visited for free on the first Friday of the month.

5. EMMA – Espoo Museum of Modern Art is located in Espoo. Explore our neighbouring city on Fridays, because EMMA has free admission every Friday 5 pm onwards. In addition, there are extended opening hours on the first Friday of each month.

6. Taidehalli has free admission on the first Wednesday of the month (when exhibitions are open to the public).

7. The Helsinki Art Museum, HAM, can be visited for free on the last Friday of every month.

Other places

1. Explore the island of Suomenlinna. In less than 20 minutes you can travel to an island near Helsinki for free, if you have a public transport pass. Check out the Suomenlinna Fortress that has even been added to the UNESCO World Heritage List.

2. The traditional Carnival of Light takes place in October. Linnanmäki Amusement Park offers its visitors different kinds of light effects that will bring some light to these darker days. 

3. There are also free walking routes around Helsinki that follow a specific theme. For instance, some walks show you the city’s different neighbourhoods and the favourite places of locals. You can, for example, discover Tove Jansson’s Helsinki. Here’s a link to more options: https://www.myhelsinki.fi/en/see-and-do/activities/walking-routes-in-hel…

4. You can also admire all the breath-taking autumn colours in different places around Helsinki, such as Helsinki’s Central ParkTöölönlahti and Kaisaniemenlahti.

Currently studying at the University of Helsinki with a major in English. When I'm not studying, you can find me reading and obsessing over books, traveling, binge-watching sitcoms and talking about my dogs and human rights.
Helsinki Contributor