Culture Events to Visit This Fall in Helsinki

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Though for most of us fall is probably one of the busiest periods of the academic year with new courses and extra-curricular activities beginning one after another, it is also important to remember to relax and have some fun on your free time. Here are four interesting events our lovely Helsinki will kindly offer us during these beautiful, yet at times gloomy months, guaranteed to be entertaining and mind-expanding at the same time.

Rakkautta & Anarkiaa Film Festival

17.-27.9.2015

If you sometimes want to go to the movies and see something different from popular Hollywood films, this event probably fulfills your wildest dreams. The festival, taking place in several theaters in the city center, shows lesser-known movies from all over the world, this year focusing especially on Latin America, Balkan countries, Nordic countries and France.

Do not miss: Dear White People (2014), an extremely topical indie movie about racial tensions on an American university campus, told from the African-American point of view. More info on www.hiff.fi

Helsinki Art Walks

Every other Sunday throughout fall

This walking tour unites people interested in looking at art and talking about it. It gives you an opportunity to check the latest exhibitions in small galleries around Helsinki, with guidance in Finnish and English – and it is completely free of charge.

Do not miss: the next Art Walk on the 20th of September visiting Art Fair Suomi in Cable Factory. More info on www.facebook.com/helsinkiartwalk

Linnanmäki Carnival of Light

10.-18.10.2015

Helsinki’s very own amusement park, cozy Linnanmäki, throws its annual carnival of light in the middle of October. The whole area is beautifully lit and the rides are open, creating a special and fun atmosphere in darkening fall nights. There are also free music shows each night showcasing all kinds of Finnish artists.

Do not miss: Finland’s number one pop star at the moment, Antti Tuisku, throws a free live show on the first night of the carnival. More info on www.linnanmaki.fi/valokarnevaali

Picture: Creative Commons

Baltic Circle Theatre Festival

10.-14.11.20

Those interested in theater should not miss the Baltic Circle festival which showcases modern Finnish theater and brings big international names to Helsinki. Arranged in spots all around the city, the festival also has many interesting side events free of charge.

Do not miss: the programme release of this year’s festival on September 16th. More info on www.facebook.com/Balticcircle

Helsinki Contributor