Style > Beauty

Christmas Gift Guide: 5 Cruelty-Free Beauty Items

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

The holiday season is upon us, and that means it’s time to get shopping! And if you want to do so ethically, here are five little ideas to help your friends and family stock up on their beauty and makeup collection (or perhaps even a cheeky little gift for yourself…) — all from cruelty free brands!  From perfume to lipstick, and from high street shops to more high-end brands, I have tried to narrow down five products that will match as many budgets and tastes as possible. However, these companies are fully cruelty free, so hopefully this list can always serve as inspiration if the products don’t quite match what you’re looking for!

• Lush

I feel like this one is a must. Perhaps the most indulgent of the five, getting a Lush gift is always real treat! If you have a little money to spare, why not get a Christmas box? And if you are not sure whether your giftee has a bath, you cannot go wrong with shower and body products like Sweet Christmas!

• The Body Shop*

Also right up there with Lush, from this company I particularly love the scents. Maybe not quite a beauty product, but the Spiced Apple Shimmer Mist smells delicious, so I couldn’t resist listing it here!

• Elf

Moving on to the make-up products! If your budget is a little bit tighter, fear not: e.l.f Cosmetics is about as cheap as it can get! To get the most value for your money, choose an eyeshadow palette (or two!) that can be worn several ways.

• Urban Decay*

And on the topic of eyeshadow palettes, this one is a bit more pricey, but definitely worth it. The Naked range are all cult classics by now! Their earthy, neutral colors are great to create natural looks for any occasion. I myself have the Naked 2 and they are the only eyeshadows I ever use!

• Make Up Store

This Swedish make-up brand is a recent discovery of mine. Plus, when I recently visited the store, I was informed the brand is slowly going vegan! Personally, I am really happy with their lipsticks. Perhaps a Christmassy burgundy color for the festive season?

*The Body Shop and Urban Decay are cruelty-free, but their parent company, L’Oréal, are not. There are different stances on this and I recommend doing a bit of research to find out which values resonate with you!

Esther is majoring in Media and Communications. She likes reading, vegan food, and spending way too much time on social media.
Helsinki Contributor