Campus Cutie: Viveka Sequeira

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Year: 3rd

Major: English Philology

Hometown: Espoo

You’ve been on an exchange year in Wales, how’s the experience been?

It’s been one of the best experiences of my life. Taking a break from the routine back at home and meeting wonderful people from all over the world, traveling and seeing new places…it’s all been very eye-opening.

The coolest Cymraeg word you’ve encountered so far?

The standard answer to this is: Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch which is a village right next to Bangor, where I’m staying. I’m not sure this counts though because it was created to attract tourism so I’ll go with ‘myfyriwr’ which means ‘student’, it rolls off the tongue nicely.

During your exchange year, what have you missed about Finland the most?

To be completely honest, I’ve missed our dog the most. I’ve also missed chocolate and korvapuusti… I think my other answer is food. Also the ease and convenience of public transportation; I really take it for granted in Finland. And, of course, the obvious family and friends.

What are you looking forward to about summer?

Adjusting to life back at home.

What tips would you give to someone who’s considering an exchange year?

To not consider it anymore and just do it. And once you get there, to try new things and give everything a chance. It’s also a good idea to travel around the area as much as possible, even to tiny remote places.

A 22-year-old anthropology student from Helsinki. Music, photography, and poetry are close to my heart.