Campus Cutie: Veera Mäkelä

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Year: 5th

Major: English Philology

Minor: Comparative Literature

Hometown: Helsinki

Hobbies: Books, in all forms

What are you reading right now?

Lady Chatterley’s Lover (1928) by D. H. Lawrence. It’s pretty different from what I expected.

Where do you see yourself in five years?

This is such a tough question, since I hardly know where I see myself in five months… Somewhere abroad, I suppose. Perhaps in a PhD program!

What’s your favourite quote and why?

“Run mad as often as you choose, but do not faint.” It’s from Jane Austen’s Love and Friendship (1790), and I think it’s a rather good motto.

Tell me about an achievement you’re proud of.

I handed my pro gradu in yesterday, and seeing it all printed out made me feel prouder than I expected. So I guess it’s that!

What is the perfect day made of?

Many kinds of days are perfect! But right now I rather think it’d be one where I don’t have to go anywhere and could just curl up with tea and the BBC Pride and Prejudice [Ed. note: Hear, hear!].

If you could, what advice would you give to your freshman self?

Don’t be shy. Speak out. It’ll be good for you.

One thing you’re going to do this summer.

I’m going to the States to visit some friends, and we’re going on a road trip to a science fiction convention. I just can’t wait!

Congratulations to Veera and everyone else for handing in their pro gradus, it’s a major accomplishment!

Lyra Li

Helsinki

A perpetual dreamer searching for new adventures, more crime novels to read and the determination to become a minimalist.