Campus Cutie Saara Laitinen: “Make the most of student life!”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Year: 7th

Major: English philology

Hometown: Helsinki

Relationship status: In a relationship

Interests: Reading, yoga, running, singing, kickboxing, cooking… and the list goes on. I really enjoy trying new sports: swimming and basketball are my newest fields!

Describe a typical day in your life.

My mornings have to include coffee, a proper breakfast and Helsingin Sanomat. I like my mornings slow. After that I usually bike to the Uni and spend there from 6 to 8 hours. In the evenings I try to do some exercises or meet friends. If I’m too tired I’ll just lounge on the sofa, read magazines or watch TV.

What’s your favorite place on campus?

I love the National Library, it’s really beautiful! Haven’t been there for ages, though…

Do you have any guilty pleasures?

I don’t know if they’re guilty, but I love chocolate, wine and sweets in any form! That’s why I need to exercise a lot because I would never give up on those.

What has been your favorite class at the University of Helsinki so far?

I think I have to go with the political science or general history courses. I can’t mention only one course but there are many good lecturers in those fields!

What would your dream job be?

I would love to restore old furniture or do sports all day long. So I’m definetely in the wrong field! Seriously speaking, I do want to become a teacher too and a teaching position in an international school in Helsinki or abroad would be interesting.

What advice would you give to our freshmen?

Even though I like studying, it can be really exhausting and time-consuming. My advice is to invest in the most important courses and loosen up with the ones that do not matter so much. In most professions the grades do not matter at all! Make the most of student life!

What made you choose your major?

I liked English in school and was good at it. I had no particular career plans and had difficulty in deciding what to study. I saw English as a good option.

If you were a fictional character, who would you be?

Pippi Longstocking, an adventurous, decent and strong girl! I already loved her when I was a kid and wanted to be just like her.

What Hogwarts house would you belong to?

Probably Ravenclaw, although I would love to say Gryffindor!

Who’s your idol?

My mom. She has done it all: been a stay-at-home mom for several years and had a successful career as a doctor. Everyone loves her but she’s definitely no doormat!

An English Philology major and a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Helsinki. In addition to Her Campus, I love good food, travelling, politics and cute dresses. My real passion is cookbooks, which I own way too many, and some day I would love to write one myself.