Campus Cutie: Manu Paavilainen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Major: Comparative religion

Year: 2nd

Hometown: Tuusula

Interests: I guess I’ve been a filmaholic ever since I was a child. I also love to write, and hope to publish a novel or two in the future. Playing sports like floorball with my friends is also dear to me. Acting in a student musical this year has been a new and wonderful hobby.

Did you make any New Year’s resolutions?

I didn’t make any on New Year’s eve, but later after a student cruise, hungover and tired, I decided to start a journal.

If you weren’t studying in uni, what would you do?

I’d propably still be driving a cab like I used to before getting accepted to Helsinki University. I think I would be focusing more of my energy in my writing as I am now because of all the things we can do via the student community.

Where would you travel if you had an unlimited budget?

If I had an unlimited budget, I’d choose someplace more expensive like Japan or Canada.

You’re in a bar. What’s your poison?

I have to admit that my heart goes to a hearty cider. If I’m feeling fancy, a grasshopper is my weakness.

What’s the best concert you have ever been to?

I haven’t been to so many concerts, but I have to say that the most energizing was the Finland premiere gig of Rise Against.

What’s your number one dating deal-breaker?

This may sound a little elitist, but if the girl is really dumb. I require some ability to maintain an interesting conversation.

If you could be someone else for a day, who would you be?

Leonardo DiCaprio is a man that I admire, and his field of work is close to my heart. I would like to experience the “influential global-concious Hollywood superstar and ladies’ man” lifestyle for one day.

Who would you invite to your imaginary dinner party (anyone real/fictional, alive/deceased)?

Probably Leo for the reasons mentioned above, and possibly some of my other favourite actors like Cate Blanchett and Tom Hanks. Also, my favourite director/idol Christopher Nolan. Some of my favourite hockey players like Teemu Selänne and Eric Staal. A few favourite writers like Oscar Wilde and Miika Nousiainen. Plato, Baruch Spinoza and Bertrand Russell could bring some deep thoughts to the table. Also Bill Hicks. This list could go on for a while, so best I stop here.