you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
you x ventures Oalh2MojUuk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Celebrity: Anton L.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

When it comes to us who are majoring in the social sciences or the humanities, we might be a little clueless about what’s going on in the natural sciences even on our campus. So I got a hold of my good friend Anton L., 26, who is a biology major. He gave us tips on good studying spots, told us why we should also consider studying biology, and what he has learned from debating with creationists.

How did you become interested in studying biology?

There were many things. I think my interest was first ignited by the animated series called Once Upon A Time… Life I used to watch as a child. It depicted the world of organisms as a great adventure. Although in high school I neither studied nor matriculated in the subject, I noticed after graduating that the several discussions I had with creationists and other people taking their religion a bit too seriously had provided me with a comprehensive understanding of evolution and the natural sciences as a whole.

What are the best studying spots on the campus?

The lounge area of Biokeskus 3 in Viikki is a popular place. It’s often peaceful there, but not in an oppressively silent way characteristic to libraries — people walk past and discuss their own scientific research with enthusiasm, students are heading to their lectures or to the club room, and the sound of soft applause can be heard from the lecture hall called Telkänpönttö next door when the academics are lecturing about their topics in the symposiums held there. In addition, the PC-plugs that were installed in the area a few years ago make it easier to use laptops. In the campus library there are some serene, garden-like reading areas with plenty of natural light, exotic plants and fresh air.

What are the best memories you have of your time on the campus?

When you’re studying at the university, the campus and its inhabitats will become another family for you. Familiar people are greeted in the hallways, at the club room all things from politics to music are discussed, and after lectures the lecturers gladly stay behind to explain things in greater detail to pathological knowledge addicts like me. It’s hard to pick a single great moment from such a big selection of good memories. The sauna and game nights thrown by the people in Viikki have stayed in my mind as especially pleasant experiences, and one of my best memories was the pre-orientation event for biology students.The event began in Suomenlinna where we got to know other freshmen and our tutors. Later in the evening we ended up at a party in Matlun klusteri, where we got to socialise with astronomers and computer scientists, among others. That’s when I began to realize, that university is much more than just an educational institution and that I am welcome here.

Why should one study biology as a major or a minor?

Biology is one of the most interdisciplinary and integrative natural sciences out there, and that can be seen in the backgrounds of the people studying or working here: whether you’re a programmer, a student of technical sciences, a theoretician, a career hunter, or a pedagog, you’ll fit right in. Studying biology can lead you to new and miraculous places.

A 22-year-old anthropology student from Helsinki. Music, photography, and poetry are close to my heart.