This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

As we slowly start to enter the spring season of 2020, it is good to take a moment or two to declutter your life. However, many people struggle with the concept of spring cleaning. If you feel this way too, you are not alone. Many people struggle with this, simply because they do not know where to start. The process of cleaning and decluttering is actually pretty simple, when you know where to begin. This spring, try following these easy tips to begin your cleaning journey. 

1. Don’t rush the process: 

When beginning a large cleaning process, many people are often tempted to jump right in and complete the cleaning in a short period of time. However, I would suggest that you spread decluttering and cleaning tasks over a course of a week or two, depending on your schedule. Start by making a list of the tasks you need to get done and divide them upon days that fit your schedule. 

2. Prepare:

Before you start cleaning, make sure that you have the needed equipment. This is a great opportunity to go through your cleaning supplies and throw out expired or worn out products. Remember to buy dust bags, rags, disinfectants and other useful cleaning supplies. I also suggest that you get your hands on some large trash bags and cardboard boxes, so you can sort and throw out things. 

3. Start from basics:

Before you start decluttering and going through your belongings, you should clean each space thoroughly. Start with vacuuming, dusting and wiping down surfaces. After this, you can start decluttering. 

4. Divide and conquer: 

Breaking down the rooms and areas in your home is something that definitely helps you clean more effectively. You can ease your way into cleaning by starting with smaller spaces, like bathrooms and closets, and work your way up to bigger spaces such as bedrooms and living rooms. 

5. Group up:

In addition to working room by room, you can also clean and declutter based on categories. For example, here are a few groups of items that can be decluttered one by one: 

• Clothing

• Cosmetics, bathroom products

• Fridge and pantry

• Shoes and accessories

• Books and miscellaneous items

After decluttering, here are some spaces and objects that should be cleaned at the same time:

• Windows and floors

• Plumbing

• Shower, bathtub, toilet, sinks

• Bookshelves, shelves, wall art 

6. Some things to keep in mind:

Remember that spring cleaning should not stress you out! Make sure to take your time and accommodate these tasks into your everyday schedule. If possible, try to clean and declutter a little bit each day, but don’t panic if you don’t have time to clean every day. 

If cleaning isn’t something you enjoy, consider asking some friends or family members to help out! Like most things in life, cleaning is more fun when you aren’t doing it alone. Also consider making a playlist of your favourite songs to boost your mood while at it. 

The internet is full of tips and hacks, so if you feel like you need more tips or help cleaning certain objects or spaces, don’t hesitate to Google it! There are plenty of good articles and posts out there that will definitely help you achieve a spotless home. 

Happy cleaning!

Olivia Mujunen

Helsinki '21

Undergraduate student, studying English Philology at University of Helsinki. Her Campus Helsinki writer. Travel lover. Amateur baker and yoga enthusiast.
Helsinki Contributor