Best of Christmas Markets in Helsinki

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

There’s something cozy about Christmas markets. Perhaps it’s the idea of shelter from the cold and a bite of something tasty, the pleasure of shopping for unique handicrafts with gifts for friends and family (or yourself) in mind… While not quite as grand as the ones in Central Europe, Helsinki has its fair share of lovely Christmas markets. There’re others out there too, but here are our picks for your calendar this December:

Tuomaan Christmas Market

1-22 December 2018

So conveniently located you could pop in after or in between lectures. This is the biggest, oldest, and probably the best known of the Helsinki Christmas markets, and the atmosphere of the Senate Square is quite magical. The stands sell both handcrafted gifts (decorations, woolen mittens) and food items for both gifting (jams, cookies, honey) and consuming right there on the spot (hot and fresh handmade Karelian pasties are completely different from the ones you get in the store). Don’t forget to let out your inner child by riding the merry-go-round.

Helsinki International Christmas Market

24 November – 22 December 2018

The good news is that this market on Lasipalatsintori is already going on. If you’ve been to any other of the international markets in Helsinki, you might know what to expect – food and items from many different countries, including Finland. However, this year is the first time for the International Christmas Market, with handicraft and food like jams and Curry Wurst sold from wooden Christmas cottages that rival the Tuomaan Christmas Market, even though the setting around Kamppi isn’t quite as idyllic.  

Tokyo ry’s Christmas Sales

1-2 December 2018

Less Japanese than it sounds, Tokyo ry is the organization for students at Aalto University’s School of Arts, Design and Architecture. This means the items sold at these sales are unique creations by talented Aalto students: these art and design items cannot be found in any other store. This year the event is conveniently located in Kiasma Museum of Modern Art, but only for one weekend, so make sure not to miss out on supporting our Aalto colleagues.

Christmas Market at the Old Student House

15-22 December 2018

Located in the historical Old Student House, this market sells especially Finnish handicrafts and is a typical example of a Finnish Christmas market. Held indoors, you won’t have to huddle in the cold, but there’re still opportunities to get a hot drink and browse through the unique items by small companies. A list of the artisan sellers can be found on the event page.

Teurastamo Christmas Market

15-16 December 2018

In town for only one weekend, but certainly worth a visit if you’re interested in design, whether that’s clothing, jewelry or interior design. The market seems to specialize in tradition with a modern flair, because while the Christmas tree is decorated to the song of tiernapojat (star singers), the sold goods are more about design and gingerbread can be enjoyed in the form of gingerbread ice cream! Check the event’s official website for more information on sellers.

Ylva Biri

Helsinki '18

Ylva is a PhD student at the University of Helsinki researching the linguistics of social media discourse. When not studying, procrastinating and overthinking, she enjoys shonen anime and trying out new foods.
Helsinki Contributor