From Arctic Temperatures to the Warmth of the Tropic: Heavenly Thai Noodle Soup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

As winter has finally settled in southern Finland and the temperatures stubbornly want to stay below -15 C, eating a fresh salad doesn’t feel as satisfying as it does in the summertime. The reappearance of the sun after two months of darkness has also lured people out the comfort of their homes to enjoy the brisk and bright winter weather. After defying the freezing temperatures outside there is nothing more enjoyable than coming home for a bowl of warm, flavorful soup. Winter is the ultimate time for comfort food, but it doesn’t mean that you have to sacrifice healthiness in order to achieve that same fulfilling sensation. This recipe for a Thai-inspired noodle soup is bursting with flavor, full of colorful veggies and just the right amount of spiciness to keep you warm and satisfied while waiting for warmer days. So wrap yourself up into a human burrito, help yourself to a generous bowl of soup and slurp away!

Ingredients: (3-4 portions)

2 carrots

150 g green beans (frozen)

1 bag of large shrimps (frozen)

1 pack (80 g) of noodles

3 tsp red curry paste

6 dl water

1 chicken stock cube (can be replaced with veggie stock)

2.5 dl Alpro Soya Coconut (Cuisine) 

dried ginger

lime juice 

Preparation:

Peel the carrots and cut them into thin small sticks. Add a bit of margarine or oil into a large saucepan, throw in the red curry paste and the carrots and fry for a moment. Add water, the chicken stock cube and bring to a boil. Break the noodles into pieces and add into the broth. When the noodles are almost cooked, add the frozen beans and shrimps, a touch of dried ginger and bring up the heat one more time. Add the coconut cream. Once the shrimps and beans have warmed up, add a squeeze of lime juice.

Serve the hot soup with some crushed cashew nuts and enjoy!

An English major who suffers from continuous wanderlust and too-many-books-too-little-time syndrome.