This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Many factors cause our skin to age. Some of them we cannot do anything about; others we can totally influence. One thing that no one can change is the natural aging process. It is bound to happen. As time goes by, we get visible lines on our face. It’s natural for our skin to lose some of its youthful fullness. It’s becoming thinner and drier. An essential factor is our genes. They largely control when these changes occur. The medical term for this type of aging is “intrinsic aging.” Although we can’t really do anything about this, we can influence another type of aging that affects our skin. Our environment and lifestyle choices can cause our skin to age prematurely. The medical term for this type of aging is “extrinsic aging.” By taking some preventive actions, we can slow the effects of aging on our skin. And worry not, my friends, I have grouped a list of pro tips to prevent aging!

1. Know your skin type

It’s important to know your skin type to choose the right ingredients that address your skin needs! The five most common skin types are dry, oily, combination, normal, and sensitive. Skin types can change depending on the time of the year, hormones, age, and products you’re using.

2. Adopt a skincare routine – now!

Applying moisturizer is a must, but unfortunately, it’s not enough. You need a skincare routine suitable for your own skin type. Generally, a skincare routine consists of cleansing, hydrating, toning, treating, moisturizing, and applying SPF. This procedure is also called layering, and if done properly, it works wonders!

3. Hyaluronic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid, Hyaluronic Acid!!!

t’s a-ma-zing! It works for every skin type, it’s a fantastic hydration product, and the reason why it’s so awesome is that it holds 1000x its weight in water, meaning it works like a magnet drawing moisture into the deeper layers of your skin while plumping and smoothing fine lines at the same time!

4. Stay protected from the sun

Protect your skin from the sun every day. Whether spending a day at the beach or running errands, sun protection is essential. You can protect your skin by seeking shade, covering up with sun-protective clothing, and using a broad-spectrum sunscreen, SPF 30 (or higher), and water-resistant. You should apply sunscreen every day to all skin that is not covered by clothing. 

5. STOP smoking!

Seriously…Smoking is not only a disgusting, unhealthy habit, but it very much speeds up how quickly skin ages. It causes wrinkles and a dull, sallow complexion.

6. Adopt a healthy, well-balanced diet

Studies suggest that eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables may help prevent damage that leads to premature skin aging. Research also indicates that a diet containing lots of sugar or other refined carbohydrates can accelerate aging.

7. Drink less alcohol

Although there’s nothing wrong with a couple of wine glasses now and then, excessive alcohol use is rough on the skin. It dehydrates, and in time, damages the skin. This can make us look older.

8. Exercise regularly

Studies suggest that moderate exercise can improve blood circulation and boost the immune system. This, in turn, may give the skin a more youthful appearance.

9. Stress less!

Stress can cause wrinkles to form because high amounts of cortisol, the stress hormone, can break down the skin’s collagen and elastin. Research has found that chronic stress can increase inflammation, causing skin aging, and accelerating the formation of wrinkles.

10. LAUGH!

Laughter is the most effective anti-aging technique! Surround yourself with positivity and suck up all the good energy!!!

Maria Printezi

Helsinki '24

I am a student of English Philology and Linguistics at the University of Helsinki.
Helsinki Contributor