This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

You might’ve just moved in with your new roommate or perhaps you’ve had one for a while but now her little quirks are starting to annoy you. No matter what the situation, here are some of our tips on dealing with your roommate:

1. Opposite sleep rhythms

She’s out all night, you like to wake up to go to the gym in the early morning. Opposite sleep rhythms might cause tension, but are easily mitigated by investing in ear plugs, trying to do morning routines quietly, and keeping the night owl noise outside the house.

2. Sharing is caring – or is it?

Ask before you take. Just because you’re comfortable sharing, doesn’t mean she is. If you wish to borrow the pretty dress your roommate has hanging in her closet, just ask if it’s okay first and respect her choice if she doesn’t want to let you have it for a night out. Some roommates can establish a relationship where they’re like sisters but most of us don’t at least start that way. In these cases, it’s good to have a few ground rules. Maybe it’s fine to use the same dishes but not the same shampoo. Perhaps you’re willing to share your morning cereal but not your favorite chips. Discuss these things with your roommate before making any assumptions.

3. The mess just won’t disappear

This one of the most likely problems you might have with your new roommate. No matter how much you might wish so, you can’t control the other person. You can ask if she would be willing to clean up a bit if you’re having parents or friends over, but other than that, you might just have to swallow your annoyance and get used to it. And if you’re the messy one, try to at least keep the mess on yor side. However, no matter what – keep things hygienic!

4. Party all the time

Discuss all the house parties ahead of time with your roommate. She deserves time to either make arrangements to stay somewhere else or at least to prepare for the party if you’re having guests over.

5. You didn’t need to hear those noises from the bedroom

Set up a system! Naturally everyone has the right to spend time with their significant other in their own home, but try to keep in mind that you’re not the only one living there. Maybe let your roommate know if you want to have your boyfriend over, so that there’s no unnecessary awkwardness. It’s also good to discuss whether your roommate might need some quiet study time or recovery time during the flu season – she deserves privacy too.

6. Food, food, food

Some close roommates might be okay with sharing grocery duties and dinner ingredients. If you’re one of those lucky ones, you might end up making food for two and enjoying a comfortable dinner with your roommate from time to time. However, some roommates prefer to keep foods strictly separate. As with all things, talk it through beforehand and discuss the possibility that sometimes you might cook for two (or more, depending on how many roommates you have). It’s more fun that way! Cooking for two is an easy way to get yourself to make an effort with dinner rather than just whipping out the usual noodle pack.

7. Your views just don’t match

Your religions or ideologies might be totally different – especially if you’re not one of those lucky ones who get to move in with their close friends. Don’t push your own views on your roommate and politely make it clear if you’re not interested in joining her prayer group. We’re all adults now – it’s okay to disagree.

No matter what, communication is key. You can’t be sure of what she’s thinking and your roommate certainly won’t know what you’re thinking if you don’t talk. So discuss your issues, wishes, and personal rules in order to make your time together as smooth as possible! And if you’re really having trouble agreeing on things, make a chore wheel and a list of your personal ground rules and put it on the fridge door so you can both refer to it when things get rough.

An English philology major with a passion for reading and writing. I also like photography and wish I was better at it. If you're a fan of Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Charmed or Buffy, we already have something in common.
Helsinki Contributor