timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

6 Winter Survival Activities To Do in Helsinki

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

With winter in Helsinki just getting started, and the deep freeze still to come, it can be quite a shock for those of you who are not used to the short days and darkness. The best way in my experience to make it through the depths of winter is to get outside everyday and make plans to see friends regularly, rather than hibernating in your flat like Moomintroll. Here are some suggestions on low costs activities to keep you active and even enjoying the wintry months:

1. Visit the Christmas markets at Senate Square from Dec 4 to 22.

The quaint little stalls have all kinds of food and traditional handicrafts, as well as design pieces on sale.

2. Check out the ice sculpture ‘Art Meets Ice’ event at the Helsinki zoo (Korkeasaari).

At the moment the zoo is also preparing for Christmas and has designed a number of activities for its visitors to participate in, such as getting gifts for your favourite animals, slurping warm glögi in a hut or crafting Christmas cards. Check out more information from the website

3. Go skiing in the forest.

Head for Paloheinä Recreational Center, only 9 km from downtown Helsinki, to rent some skis and pick a trail in the forest of Central Park. Paloheinä is the last stop for buses 66 and 66A.

4. Find your inner child and go sledding.

The best hills to try out are the Kaivopuisto park in the city centre or check out Toinen Linja which is accessible by any tram or bus that goes via Hakaniemi.

5. Another favourite is the ice-skating rink next to the Helsinki Central Railway station (Rautatientori).

Bring your own skates or rent your own, but remember to ask about the student discount. Or check out the local outdoor ice-skating rink in your area, which is often free to use if you have your own skates.

6. More adventurous?

For the more daring of you, – give ice-swimming a go or take a walk on the frozen Baltic Sea, but be warned, neither are for the faint hearted. Just remember to check the weather reports to ensure that the ice is thick enough to walk on first.

The most important thing is to keep active and keep socialising, even though the darkness and cold can make you feel doing the opposite. If you feel like doing nothing more than curling up with a good book in front of the fire with a cup of hot chocolate, why not meet a friend in a cosy cafe somewhere or host some friends at your place?

Helsinki Contributor