books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

5 Things You Can Do Now to Prepare For End of Term Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

It’s only the second week of the period and it can feel like exams are still far away, something distant that you won’t have to worry about for another month or so. If you’re anything like me though, the final exam week creeps up surprisingly fast and before you know it, you’ll be surrounded by deadlines and exams and mountains of required reading you told yourself you’d get done but somehow never did. Add to that the fact that it’s almost Christmas, and all the Christmas-related obligations that come with it, and mid-December easily becomes the most stressful time of the year.

Luckily, there are things you can do now to make sure things go a bit more smoothly when those exams and deadlines hit you. Here are five tips for preparing for exam week in advance.

1. Make a study schedule.

This is an obvious one, but write down everything you need to do for each class and then decide when you’re going to do them. Knowing what you have to get done is the first step to actually getting it done, and having everything written down and planned well in advance also means you won’t forget anything important when things start to get busier.

2. Don’t skip classes.

It can be hard to motivate yourself to leave the comforts of your apartment and brave the snowstorm outside just to go to that less-than-fascinating 10 am class, but skipping classes might affect your grade, and not attending lectures also means you’ll have more things you need to study at home. Also, professors tend to give tips for the exam and even examples of possible exam questions during lectures, so going to class is definitely a good idea.

3. Try to develop (and sustain) healthy habits.

As a busy collegiette, things like getting enough sleep and eating healthily can sometimes seem totally unachievable. Try to get into a good routine now and your body and mind will thank you later.

4. Find a favourite study spot.

Having a pleasant studying environment does wonders for your productivity, so make it your mission to find a place where you feel inspired and free from distractions, like a quiet corner in the Kaisa library, a coffee shop with just the right amount of background noise, or even just a tidy desk at home.

5. Make fun plans for Christmas break.

I’m going travelling during the break, and all the deadlines I have coming up seem a lot less intimidating when viewed against the sunshiney backdrop of a relaxing holiday. Whether it’s making plans to see friends and family, booking a trip or knowing there’s a good book and a box (or three) of chocolates waiting for you, having something to look forward to can be a huge motivator when studying for exams.

Good luck with your studies!

Passionate about social media, food and travel. Former Editor-in-Chief of HC at Helsinki.