5 Reasons to Love Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

This week Helsinki saw its highest temperatures so far this year, and to say we are excited for spring is an understatement. Here’s a list of what we’re looking forward to!

Bar terraces

If the temperature goes a little over 10º C, you are almost guaranteed to see some brave Finns soaking up the sun in a “terde”, or bar terrace. Maybe we’ll wait for the weather to be a tad warmer, but having a glass of wine outside is a luxury we have been waiting for all winter!

The beer tram

Literally a tram that serves beer on board. Need we say more?

Picnics

Spring means spending more time outside, and eating is time well spent. Why not join the two, get out a blanket and/or a cute picnic basket, and head for instance to Suomenlinna for a lovely day out?

Flower heaven

One of Helsinki’s hottest spring attractions lasts for only a week or so each year. The catch? You never know when this week is going to happen. Alppiruusupuisto, in Pohjois-Haaga, is at its most beautiful in full bloom once the rhododendrons start opening up after the long winter.

Vappu

Spring event extraordinaire, May Day is a day most Finns (and foreigners living in Finland!) absolutely love. This student celebration lasts for at least two days (April 30th and May 1st), but students can be found celebrating even a few days in advance. Picnics, sparkling wine, good company, and (hopefully) good weather: the dream!

Pictures by the author and Unsplash

Esther is majoring in Media and Communications. She likes reading, vegan food, and spending way too much time on social media.