4 Things To Do With Your Old Clothes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Out with the old, in with the new: as the days get warmer, it’s inevitably time to put all the winter coats and sweaters away–and maybe do some spring cleaning while we’re at it! Here are our tips on what to do with the clothes you don’t want any longer, instead of throwing them away (which you should never do anyway!).

1. Sell them at a flea market

There is tons of flea markets, or kirpputorit, organized around Helsinki, especially during weekends. Booking a table can cost anything from 20 to 40 euros, but as long as you have a decent amount of goods for sale, they usually pay for themselves rather quickly. This doesn’t only apply to clothes, as you can also sell games, books, or electronics to make some quick money!

2. Get discount vouchers

Some shops like H&M offer a discount voucher if you bring in your old clothes (and also other textiles you may have lying around!). These clothes then may be resold as second hand garments, reused as e.g. cleaning cloths, or recycled into fibers that can be used for other purposes like construction.

3. Take them to charity

You can also take your clothes to charity yourself. The Helsinki area offers plenty of options: Recci , UFF or Kierrätyskeskus (links in Finnish) being some of them. Most of the time you don’t even need to go into their shops personally, but you can drop off your old clothes, shoes or bags at a service point or container close to your home. 

4. Have a clothes swap with friends

One of the cheapest options in this list and by far the most fun: if you want to get rid of your old clothes without spending a cent, have a get-together with your friends where you all bring items of clothing you are willing to part with. You never know: one woman’s trash can be another woman’s treasure!

Happy spring cleaning!

Esther is majoring in Media and Communications. She likes reading, vegan food, and spending way too much time on social media.