4 Islands to Visit in Helsinki this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

The Helsinki archipelago is home to over 300 islands which are easily accessible from the city. On a sunny day, pack up your bags and swap the urban landscape for nature and the sea. Here are four islands to visit this summer:

• Suomenlinna

Perhaps the most famous island in Helsinki, at least amongst tourists. Suomenlinna used to be a sea fortress, and it’s now a UNESCO World Heritage Site. It’s the perfect site for a picnic, but its six museums make for a cultural visit too! It can be reached by boat from the Market Square — HSL transport tickets are valid, so if you have a travel card, you don’t need to pay any extra fees!

• Lonna

Lonna is a small island open in the summer season. Previously used for mine storage, the island boasts a summer restaurant and a public sauna for visitors to relax while contemplating Helsinki from afar. Check out the ferry timetables here.

• Seurasaari

Just off of the Meilahti area of Helsinki, Seurasaari hosts lots of friendly squirrels (who will literally climb up your leg!) and an open air museum consisting of a collection of old Finnish buildings that have been transported from all over the country. As a plus, it’s near other attractions like president Urho Kekkonen’s home. This is the only island on this list that you can get to without a boat! Bus 24 will drop you off right by the bridge to the island.

• Pihlajasaari

Another local favorite, Pihlajasaari used to be a former villa island, and some of these constructions can actually still be seen and visited, such as the Pihlajasaari summer restaurant. On offer: gorgeous sandy beaches, nature paths, and saunas to rent! Click here for the ferry timetables.

Pictures by Pixabay and Wikimedia Commons

Esther is majoring in Media and Communications. She likes reading, vegan food, and spending way too much time on social media.