3 Ways to Level Up Your Coffee Game

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

If you didn’t already know this, Finns drink the most coffee in the world. However, the coffee we drink here is nowhere near as delicious as the one they enjoy for example in Italy. Here, quantity trumps quality. But does it really have to be that way? As we consume several cups of that dark life-giving substance per day, shouldn’t we pay more attention to its quality? Check out our tips for leveling up your coffee game and how to make those tiny coffee-filled moments even more enjoyable!

1. Get better coffee

Sounds simple, and it is. Even if you’re not willing to invest in an expensive coffee maker, you can always invest a euro or more on better quality coffee. Better yet, try different qualities and find a new favorite! As the coffee industry is also prone to taking advantage of the people working on the plantations, you should also pay more attention to where your coffee comes from — we Finns, as the craziest coffee-consumers in the world, can make a difference!

2. Grind your own beans

This tip might sound like too much work, but it really isn’t! Also, it’s totally worth it. The grinders are not even that expensive, and buying coffee beans is more affordable than buying ready-ground coffee. Just imagine that lovely smell of freshly ground coffee in the morning!

3. Invest in better equipment

And no, you don’t have to buy a Moccamaster and spend half your month’s budget on it. Better equipment for making good coffee comes in a much smaller and inexpensive package — it’s time you try out the AeroPress! This small but effective coffee maker requires you to put a little back into it as you push the coffee through the cylinder, but the results are more than worth it! A moka pot is also a very good alternative. If you’ve managed to get this far, with freshly ground coffee and new equipment, you might as well take the final extra step to finalize your amazing cup of life — warm up some milk, foam it, mix it with the coffee and voilà! You’ve officially achieved a next level of coffee making.

Photos via Unsplash

An English major who suffers from continuous wanderlust and too-many-books-too-little-time syndrome.