3 Ways to Get into Classical Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

So you want to broaden your horizons a little and indulge in the fine arts, but have no clue where to start? Do hundreds of years of classical music history feel too overwhelming? No doubt. Here are our best tips to step into the world of classical music.

1. Don’t shy away from the classics

Don’t let classical music purists scare you and say that Vivaldi’s Four Seasons, Beethoven’s Ode to Joy or the Hallelujah chorus from Händel’s Messiah are too “basic”. You can call yourself a classical music fan and not own every single one of Glenn Gould’s Bach recordings. What matters is that you enjoy what you’re listening to.

2. Easy exposure

Listening to classical radio such as Yle Klassinen is a very good way of getting tons of exposure to a wide array of different genres and finding out what works best for you. Is it Mozart’s symphonies or Chopin’s nocturnes? Choral or orchestral? The key thing about classical music is that, even though we often describe it as a genre in and of itself, it actually comprises a tremendous amount of different traditions and styles, from Gregorian chant to Jean Sibelius. So pop that radio on in the background while you do some cleaning or studying, and let it take over! And when you hear something that you like, take the time to find that composer on YouTube or Spotify and find out what else they’ve written.

3. Student-priced everything!

Who said classical music had to be expensive? Make the most of your student discount by going to the Opera at almost half the price of a normal ticket. Musiikkitalo also has plenty of free concerts, as well as generous student discounts and the possibility to go see the Radio Symphony Orchestra rehearse. There’s nothing more magical than a concert hall atmosphere to get you hooked on classical music!

If you’re not used to this kind of music, it might feel a bit strange and overly complex at first. But don’t despair! Classical music is one of those things which gets better the more you listen to it: there’s always something new to be discovered in a piece!

Hint: all the musical examples mentioned throughout this article are linked so you can start listening right about now!

Photos via Unsplash

Esther is majoring in Media and Communications. She likes reading, vegan food, and spending way too much time on social media.