Laura Claypool-Postcards Dorm Wall Decor Photos Polaroids
Laura Claypool / Her Campus

3 Reasons to Celebrate World Postcard Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

The second official World Postcard Day is finally here on Friday October 1st. If you haven’t heard of this exquisite celebratory event for postcards, worry not. We are here to inform everything you need to know. So ready, set, go – as in time to buy those postcards and stamps and get scribbling. Did I hear a “why” in the crowd? Let me fill you in.

1. For the Love of Mail

Bills, bills, bills (you may hum the song if you want to). Raise your hand if you’d love even the idea of receiving mail other than something that will cost you. Yes, I see you. The purpose of the World Postcard Day is to send and receive postcards to simply share something about your day. Write a postcard (or fifty as, dear reader, will I. Aim high, they say). How fun is that? That’s right, A LOT. Let’s spread those great vibes and bring smiles to people’s faces with a simple yet an effective act.

2. Celebrate a Milestone

A postcard is an excellent way to felicitate birthdays, graduation, et cetera, you name it. Celebrating WPD is also a perfect occasion to celebrate the 150th birthday of the postcard. On October 1st in 1869, Dr. Emmanuel Herrmann impressed and inspired the Austrian post by his newspaper article in which he suggested a cheaper and a more practical, not-so-time-consuming method to spread out the word and communicate. Here we are a hundred and fifty years later, still sending postcards on the World Postcard Day. Happy birthday, Postcard!

3. There’s No Distance a Postcard Couldn’t Handle

Do you miss your friends, family, nana, cousins, godmother (the list never-ending)? Let them know how your life is going and tell them you miss them, especially due to Covid. Brighten up their day. Beat the distance. Brighten up even your own day and write yourself a postcard filled with compliments. Most importantly, show yourself and someone close to you in this delightful way that you care.

Grab your postcards, everybody. Time for some celebratory writing. October 1st, we’re ready!

Kukka

Helsinki '23

English major and an aspiring activist who mostly chills with her dogs or reads books.