3 New Must-See Exhibitions in Helsinki

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Looking for something to do a grim autumn day that’s fun, budget-friendly and, most importantly, indoors where it’s warm and dry? Helsinki has plenty of art museums, with several of them having just opened interesting new exhibitions for the new season. Here’s our top picks you shouldn’t miss – you can see all of the exhibitions for free on certain days and the museums offer student discounts as well!

Smell (7 Oct 2016 – 15 Jan 2017)

Helsinki City Museum

After the hugely popular Museum of Broken Relationships exhibition, the City Museum’s fourth floor has now been turned into an innovative “sensory experience” exploring the varying smells of Helsinki. The smell is different every week and you can pop on a pair of acoustic earmuffs and chill out on the beanbags while you try to guess what the smell is. The exhibition space is very calming and definitely something different and fun!

Helsinki City Museum has free entry every day.

For more information, visit helsinginkaupunginmuseo.fi.

Mona Hatoum (7 Oct 2016 – 26 Feb 2017)

Kiasma

The Beirut-born, UK-based artist’s first solo exhibition in Finland is spread out across two floors in the modern art museum Kiasma and features Hatoum’s work in varying media such as video, photography and sculpture. The exhibition is thought-provoking and the varying materials and techniques used make for an interesting and constantly surprising museum visit.

Kiasma offers free entry on the first Friday of every month, as well as a student discount on other days.

For more information, visit kiasma.fi.

Yayoi Kusama: In Infinity (7 Oct 2016 – 22 Jan 2017)

HAM (Helsinki Art Museum)

The Japanese artist’s iconic artwork (you’ll have seen photos of her dot-filled installations even if you don’t realise you have) comes to Helsinki in this expansive retrospective, displaying works from Kusama’s early career in the 1950’s to present day. The exhibition consists of more than 200 paintings, sculptures and installations so reserve some time for exploring it all.

If you’re unable to visit the exhibition, you can check out Kusama’s Narcissus Garden which will be on display at Kamppi metro station until January!

HAM has free admission nights on the last Friday of every month, and some exhibitions are always free of charge.

For more information visit hamhelsinki.fi.

Which must-see exhibitions are you planning to visit?

Passionate about social media, food and travel. Former Editor-in-Chief of HC at Helsinki.