3 Cozy & Budget-Friendly Cafes in Helsinki

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

There aren’t many things more wonderful than cozying up inside a pretty cafe on a cold winter’s day. Unfortunately, doing that regularly in Helsinki can usually be way too expensive for anyone living on a student budget, especially in the city centre. However, if you are ready to travel a bit around the city, you can find some true gems. Here are three cafes in Kallio, Munkkiniemi and Jätkäsaari, which are extremely easy on the eye – and also offer you good coffee and something delicious to eat all for under 5 euros.

IPI Kulmakuppila

Address; Porthaninkatu 13, 00530 Helsinki

This new cafe in Kallio is aesthetically pleasing – large windows, light color scheme and various plants make the place really pretty. The prices in general aren’t particularly cheap, but the cafe offers many small things to eat for 1 or 2 euros apiece. The price of one coffee is the typical 2,50 euros, but the cup is satisfyingly large and the price includes a free refill, which is always a plus. Expect to see a lot of stylish Kallio people with their laptops!

Max’s Cafe

Address: Munkkiniemen puistotie 7, 00330 Helsinki

To get to this treasure, you have to travel all the way to Munkkiniemi. The trip is definitely worth it, though: all the sweet and savory pastries are 2 to 4 euros each and you get a cup of coffee for 1,60 euros. The atmosphere is perfectly homely, with many regular customers chatting to each other and the beautiful main street of Munkkiniemi gleaming outside the windows. 

Alejandra

Address: Välimerenkatu 5, 00180 Helsinki

Located next to a huge construction zone in Jätkäsaari, Alejandra is a cafe/flower shop/beauty salon with fittingly eccentric atmosphere. Coffee costs 1,50 euros and you will always find a variety of sweet and savory pastries for 2-3 euros each. The space is lovely with fresh flowers and tiny gift items (available for purchase) everywhere. During the day the cafe is often packed with construction workers, which somehow adds to its charm.

Do you know of any budget-friendly cafes we haven’t included on our list? Let us know in the comments below! 

Helsinki Contributor