This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

Until recently, you may have considered avocado to be an exotic fruit that you enjoyed trying in different cooking recipes, but keep in mind that avocado oil is a source of endless benefits for your hair.

What does avocado oil contain?

The oil from this delicious superfruit contains omega 3 fatty acids, rich in vitamins A, D, E, potassium, lecithin, and many other nutrients and antioxidants. It is known for its emollient and soothing properties and is therefore widely used in hair nourishment and hydration products.

Avocado oil has the following benefits for hair:

– Nourishes and strengthens hair.

– Favors the growth of hair so that hair grows longer easily and quickly thanks to the biotin it contains – which belongs to the family of B vitamins.

– Makes hair shinier.

– The light composition of the oil can invade the inside of the hair and scalp without lubricating it, unlike other oils that sit on their surface.

– The cocktail of vitamins and lipids it contains protects against dandruff and dryness and generally contributes to a healthy scalp. Also, a light massage on the roots with a little avocado oil on your fingers activates proper blood circulation.

– Protects against UV radiation and air pollutants through the antioxidants it contains.

– It is suitable and can be used by all hair types – nevertheless, pay attention to any allergies that may occur.

Do you need more facts to convince you to incorporate avocado oil into your hair care routine?

If you want to start using it for more silky and beautiful hair, follow the following DIY hair masks with avocado oil. Give them a try now that you spend a lot of time at home and you will not regret it!

Hair mask for treating dandruff:

– 1 tbsp. of avocado oil

– 1 tbsp. of greek yogurt

– half a tbsp. of honey

Gently massage the scalp with the mixture, leave it on for about 15-20᾽ and rinse well.

Hair mask for enhancing the shine of hair:

– 1 tbsp. of avocado oil

– 1 tbsp. of honey

– 1 egg white

Spread the mixture on the hair and scalp, leave it for about 20᾽ and rinse well.

Plus tip: Use it straight as hair oil; spread it from the middle of the hair to the ends and comb it well to go evenly in all parts of the hair.  Enjoy!

Maria Printezi

Helsinki '24

I am a student of English Philology and Linguistics at the University of Helsinki.
Helsinki Contributor