sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Scary Movies to Watch This Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Helsinki chapter.

It’s Halloween, and what would be a better way to celebrate than to watch horror movies? Here’s a list of 10 terrifying, funny or otherwise engaging horror movies that will get you in that Halloween mood! Shout out to my amazing horror nerd friend Pihla Gelhar, who helped me create a list of Halloween classics, which I used as a resource when making this list.

1. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

This Wes Craven’s movie tells about a killer who attacks people when they’re sleeping… basically, it’s nightmares and horror combined. Also, it was Johnny Depp’s movie debut. Not only is this classic slasher film really creepy — it’s absolutely hilarious as well! A must-see horror movie, definitely. Don’t watch it before going to bed, though; you don’t want to have dreams about Freddy Krueger!

2. The Exorcist (1973)

If you haven’t seen The Exorcist, can you even say you’re a horror movie fan? I must warn you; this iconic movie directed by William Friedkin is seriously terrifying. I find it quite disturbing, to be honest. You’ve probably seen the full 360 degrees head-turning scene already, but there’s so much more to this classic, and Linda Blair is amazing as Reagan Macneil. If you’ve seen the movie already, try reading the book by William Peter Blatty it’s based on!

3. Halloween (2018)

Have you seen the new Halloween movie directed by David Gordon Green already? It has loads of action, horror and female heroes — in other words, it’s pretty great! The storyline is continued from the original 1978 movie, and Jamie Lee Curtis returns to the role of Laurie Strode and gives an amazing performance. This time, Laurie is ready to fight the infamous killer Michael Meyers, so it’s not just the villain doing the chasing!

4. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

This movie… is absolutely amazing. It has the charming yet terrifying Hannibal the Cannibal, and I think Anthony Hopkins did a pretty darn good job with the role. The movie was directed by Jonathan Demme, and it’s adapted from a Thomas Harrison novel of the same name. It has a strong female lead Clarice Starling, portrayed stunningly by Jodie Foster, a mystery and a terrifying villain, which basically makes it a perfect Halloween movie. Though perhaps more a thriller than a horror movie, The Silence of the Lambs should definitely be on your Halloween movie list!

5. The Meg (2018)

If you like shark movies, you can’t miss this film! In the movie directed by Jon Turteltaub, a group of scientists comes across a huge, vicious ancient shark. The movie is packed with action and jump scares and the dialogues are really funny.

6. An American Werewolf in London (1981)

If you’re looking for something more on the funny and less on the scary side, I suggest that you go with The American Werewolf in London directed by John Landis. This horror comedy has werewolves and romance, and I can pretty much guarantee it will crack you up. The transformation scene is one of my favourite scenes ever!

7. The Shining (1980)

This Stanley Kubrick’s film is definitely a classic. It’s based on a Stephen King novel of the same name and has Jack Nicholson in the lead role. What I find really interesting, though, is that it’s a real opinion-divider. Some of my friends say it’s the best and most terrifying movie they’ve seen while others say there’s nothing more boring than this film. I recommend you to watch this with a group of friends — it will make for an interesting discussion topic for sure!

8. The Babadook (2014)

Is the Babadook a vicious monster or a gay icon? Either way, you should definitely watch this scary Jennifer Kent’s film. Never before have I been scared of a children’s book. And the sound — you know what I mean once you’ve watched this film — will stay with you and haunt you!

9. IT (1990)

Everyone has seen the 2017 filming of Stephen King’s novel IT, but have you seen the 1990 miniseries directed by Tommy Lee Wallace already? If you haven’t, go watch it; you will fall in love with the characters as much as in the new movie. Prepare to be thoroughly spooked out, though — this miniseries has more than three hours of that killer clown goodness!

10. Zombieland (2009)

This post-apocalyptic zombie comedy is gruesome, funny, and packed with action. If you’ve always wanted to make a road trip in a world full of gut-eating zombies, this is the movie for you. In other words, it’s not a movie suited for the faint-hearted. If you can take the zombie scenes, though, I definitely recommend watching this movie! It’s directed by Ruben Fleischer and starring Emma Stone, Jesse Eisenberg, Abigail Breslin and Woody Harrelson.

An English major, Campus Correspondent, feminist and aspiring literary scholar.
Helsinki Contributor