Your Guide to the Best Happy Hours in Honolulu

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Bar 35– Located in Chinatown, Bar 35 may not look like a classy lounge on the outside, but once you step inside the local artwork and shimmering surfaces are a welcome contrast to the grungy exterior. Go with a group of friends and snag a private room for a beer and pizza tasting, or cool off at the outdoor second bar in the back. On Tuesdays, grab a friend and combine a full bottle of wine with a pizza of your choice (like The French Kiss, made with French brie, ham and pesto) for only $25!

Monday 4 p.m. – close, Tuesday – Friday 4-8 p.m., Saturday 6-10 p.m.

$3.75 Skyy martinis and cocktails, $4 select beer, $5 Chopin and Belvedere martinis.

Mai Tai Bar– Upstairs at Ala Moana Center, Mai Tai has live local music throughout happy hour. Go on a shopping spree then head to Mai Tai to rest your feet. Lounge with a drink in one hand and a satisfied smile on your face.

Every day 4-7 p.m. and 8-11 p.m.

$3 pints, $5 specialty drinks, $4 well drinks and wine.

Shirokiya– The Yataimura Beer Garden upstairs at Shirokiya has long been a college student favorite. Grab some grub from one of the many food vendors and sip on a beer while soaking in the Japanese ambiance.

Starting at 5:30 p.m. everyday.

$1 beers.

Tropics Tap House– We know we don’t have to tell you where this bar is located, but just in case there’s a few new of-agers reading, Tropics is about five steps off campus, on University Avenue. Every Thursday is College Night, but don’t get too carried away dancing to the DJ’s cool jams, because you never know who might turn out to be in your bio class the next day. Try a Jalepeno Infused Mango Margarita, or one of their unique beer cocktails. Pair it with a plate of Mojito Wings and the night can’t get any better.

Monday – Friday 3-6 p.m., Taco Tuesdays 5-8 p.m., Angry Hour every night 9-10 p.m.

$4 well drinks and wines, $3 margaritas/$12 pitchers on Taco Tuesdays

Top of Waikiki– Don’t get dizzy watching Waikiki rotate 360 degrees around you in this revolving restaurant! Try a Kai Lychee Martini and some Korean-style poke for a classy girls’  night out.

Everyday 5-7 p.m. and 9-11 p.m.

Drink specials start at $5, appetizer specials start at $8.

Tiki’s Grill and Bar– Directly across the street from Waikiki beach, watch the sunset over the water while sipping on one of their unique daily specials. Wine Down Wednesday can help you stay classy on a collegiette’s budget with half-off all wines 5 p.m.-close!

Everyday 2-5 p.m.

Drinks range from $2.50-$6.

Jimmy Buffett’s at the Beachcomber– With multiple bars, live music, and happy hour every day, Jimmy Buffett’s is an obvious stop when bar-hopping through Waikiki. With names like Havanas and Bananas, Lime Inda Coconut, and Incommunicado you’ll want to keep drinking until you get tongue-tied trying to pronounce them.

Every day 10:30-6 p.m. and 10 p.m.-close.

$3 well drinks, $4 draft beer & house wine, $5 margaritas and mai tais.

Moose Mcgillycuddy’s– The only moose native to Hawai’i, this Waikiki bar has live music downstairs and a club upstairs. The club has different daily specials Sunday through Thursday from 7 p.m. until close. Try Tuesday is dollar drink night or Wednesday $3 bucket beer night. Friday and Saturday are $3 U-Call-Its nights from 7 p.m. to 11 p.m.

Bar Happy Hour: Everyday 4-7 p.m.

$3 cocktails and beer.

Dave and Buster’s– Known for the clever combination of arcade games and alcohol, D&B’s has gone one step further and added a club upstairs. Try an alcoholic Snow Cone or a Strawberry Watermelon Margarita made with strawberry flavored ice cubes. Bring your underage friends on Wednesdays for half-off game day!

Monday – Friday 4:30-7 p.m., Sunday – Thursday 10 p.m. –close.

Half-priced drinks

Five-O Bar and Lounge– Named after the well-known television show, “Hawai’i Five-O”, this bar/lounge is located upstairs at the Royal Hawaiian Center. People watch on the balcony overlooking Waikiki, or come inside for live local music. If you’re looking for something strong, try the Over Proofed Blue Hawaii, made with Stoli 100 proof and Bacardi 151, or order a Hana Hou Beer Tower to share with friends (Although, we won’t judge if you drink all of it yourself).  

Monday – Friday 12-6 p.m.

25% off draft beers and specialty drinks.

Alaskan grown, this collegiette studies Communications, Sociology, and Japanese at the University of Hawai'i. She has a passion for music, a recently rekindled love of writing, and truly believes there is nothing better than the four B's: books, boys, booze, and the beach.
Sammi Baum is a 21 year old journalist working to inspire the masses with her words. Baum is Taiwanese-German, a journalism major with an emphasis in English and Italian, a curvy women advocate, a gamer girl, and a low-key fashionista. Currently, she is a junior at the University of Hawaii.