This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

March 8th is International Women’s day and has been since 1911. It’s a day we celebrate the hardships, accomplishments, and achievements in all fields of work, culture, and social lives of women, despite the challenges they face on a daily basis. For a long time, the workforce was dominated by men. There was an unfair gap between pay and an unfair demand of expectations between juggling the household and work life. There is still a lot to change to bring about a gender-equal world, but today, there are a lot of networks available that encourage women to keep learning and help bridge that gap between the two genders.

Below are some of the resources that I have personally used that focus on empowering women and bridging that gap.

Girls Who Code 

Their mission? “To close the gender gap in technology and to change the image of what a programmer looks like and does.” Founded in 2012, they hold classes online and in-person in locations all over the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, and India. Back in 2017 I spent a weekend learning to code with this group in NYC and can attest to the hard-work ethic and dedication shown by these women.

Her Campus

Yes, this site you’re on is here to help bridge a gap that the founders noticed. This online magazine is “dedicated to, written by, and focused on empowering, college women.” It gives college females a place where they can begin their writing careers in journalism, hone their skills, and also connect with one another through our words. We’re more easily given a voice through access to this network, a place where women are heard and are able to discuss what they feel is important.

Catalyst

Catalyst is a non-profit organization founded in 1962. Its aim and focus are working with CEOs across the country to “build workplaces that work for women.” On this site you can sign up for virtual workshops and webinars that help support women in different ways, ranging from money management to discussions about the pay gap, to discussions tailored to inspiring men to take a MARC (Men Advocating Real Change) approach in dialogue, and much more. 

Together, we can create an equal opportunity world for everyone. The success of one person is the success of everyone. We are all human, we are all loved, we are all one. Below is a list of some powerful women, women who are defying the odds and helping shape an equal future for everyone. 

Kamala Harris

The first-ever female US vice president. Over 200 years of vice presidents and finally, in 2020, women have made it through that political door. As Harris said herself, “while I may be the first woman in this office, I will not be the last, because every little girl watching tonight sees that this is a country of possibilities.”

Kamala Harris taking oath of office for vice president at the 2021 presidential inauguration
Photo by U.S. Air Force Senior Airman Kevin Tanenbaum distributed under a Public Domain Mark 1.0 license

Greta Thunberg

A climate activist, Greta began by using her voice at high school protests. She has since then delivered numerous speeches that have impacted the world and brought attention to law-makers that choose to do nothing to improve the environment. She is living proof that even young high school students can have a voice. The world is changing and will continue to do so. 

Malala Yousafzai

Founder of the Malala Fund, a non-profit organization that “invests in education activists and advocates who are driving solutions to barriers to girls’ education in their communities.” Malala is the youngest Nobel Peace Prize recipient. Born in Pakistan as a female, a right to an education wasn’t guaranteed like it is in other parts of the world. After the Taliban took over her town, her right to an education was taken away completely. Malala has since been advocating for women’s right to an education and because of this, she was targeted and shot in the head in 2012.

There are so many more networks and females that are worth noting. The list is nearly endless. This is less about bringing attention to anyone in particular and more about reminding everyone that the power to do something is within our grasp. You can learn whatever you chose to learn, you can make your voice heard. Sometimes you may think your voice is not worth it, sometimes you may waiver and question your own voice and that is okay. Learn more, educate yourself, take advantage of everything we’ve been given. The world is ours and it is beautiful.

Happy International Women’s Day! Cheers to all the hard-working women around the world that make everything as possible as it is.

Tall, funny, and I love to write everything on my mind.
Hawaii Contributor Account