Why Your Next Netflix Binge Should be Queer Eye

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Who doesn’t love watching a good makeover? And one that includes breaking social barriers and redefining what self-love and acceptance is? Count us in! Adorable, hilarious, touching, shockingthis show has it all and more in a mere eight episodes. Queer Eye is a must-watch for anyone looking for a feel good show that’s not only uplifting, but informative about what life can look like for men in the 21st century.

The basis for the show is that (typically) straight men get nominated by their friends or family to be on the show. If picked, the “Fab 5” starring Antoni Porowski, Tan France, Karamo Brown, Bobby Berk, and Jonathan Van Nesseach bringing their own expertise within their unique areas of fabulous-nesscome in and make them over. The areas of renovation being diet (food and wine), fashion, culture, interior design, and grooming respectively. The Fab 5 spend a week with each nominee and make them over, while at the same time creating strong, emotional bonds with them. The Fab 5 are a group of gay men who, before the show, had never met. They teamed up to help change the way gay men are viewed as they encourage thoughtfulness and introspection within their clients.

Queer Eye is taking the world by storm by creating a show that is redefining what it means to be a man in 2018. The Fab 5 work hard to help educate and guide each one of their guests and they demonstrate what self care can look like for anyone. It’s clear some of the men on the show go into the process uncomfortable but throughout the week they are exposed to new perspectives and come out more open-minded to what taking care of themselves can look like. It challenges traditional belief systems that constrict men, and offers a fresh take on changing old habits to reflect the progress America is making.

While on the surface the show seems like it is merely a program about aesthetic makeovers, it actually covers a lot of current controversial topics such as race, religion, sexuality, and acceptanceall extremely relevant (and touchy) subjects in today’s culture. The beauty of the show is in how it’s done. The Fab 5 each have their own way of connecting to the guests, resulting in them feeling fully supported by a whole network of men. This encourages vulnerability and defies the social norm of men needing to be strong and not show their emotions. This brotherhood atmosphere is different from others because there is a level of unconditional respect between them all. No matter what background any of the men have, they all celebrate their differences as well as connect through their similarities. By the end of each episode you can count on tears being shed at the comradery, inclusiveness and support found between the men. Even by showing this type of content on Netflix’s platform, it’s contributing to the modern movement for not only tolerance but acceptance for everyone.

Each episode is only 45 minutes long, and is guaranteed to leave you feeling uplifted and hopeful for a future where equality can be achieved. In the midst of final exam season, I promise this show will be the perfect study break to help boost your spirit!

Hailey is a senior at the University of Hawaii at Manoa and is pursuing a double major in marketing and international business, with a minor in fashion design merchandising. She is one of our Campus Correspondents here at Hawaii Her Campus and she's an active member of Alpha Gamma Delta. Hailey loves going to the beach with friends, hiking, and taking pictures!