Life > Experiences

Why You Should Live with Roommates While You’re Young

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

A lot of people dream about having their own place, but of course there are pros and cons to living alone. Some pro’s are privacy and having cleanliness up to your standards; however, some cons are it’s expensive, lonely, and more upkeep on your end. Personally the pros  outweigh any of the cons and I actually really enjoy living with roommates.

I’m single in my twenties and I absolutely love living with roommates. If you are moving to a new place, as I did to Hawaii, having roommates you can be friends with really makes a huge difference. 

Housing in Hawaii is outrageously expensive and living on your own can cost up to double. Rooms are a lot less expensive than a studio or one bedroom and you can also split the costs of utilities, furniture, WIFI, and household items like toilet paper. 

IT’S FUN. Sharing a house or an apartment with roommates, there are always people there for you. You can come home after a hard day at work and rant too, just talk about your current life experiences, or get advice. There is always someone around you can trust! I think you form a special sort of bond with the friends you live with. You also always have someone to do activities with. You want to go to the beach last minute, grab a roomie. You want to go to that bar for happy hour, grab a roomie. You want to stay in for a wine night, you have company! 

It’s less responsibility to take care of the space when it’s shared. Well as long as you have respectful roommates. You share the chores, so you don’t always have to grab the mail, take out the trash, or deep clean the bathroom. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve had my fair share of bad roommates but when you find a good fit it’s definitely a fun experience! So if you’re on the house hunt don’t discredit a cool room in a shared house.

Averi Burud

Hawaii '22

Avid surfer & current student studying Sustainability at the University of Hawaii at Manoa.