This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

What is Uber? Since its arrival to Honolulu, it’s the reason you’re never calling The Cab again. Uber is a modern form of transportation to help you get where you need to go in the easiest way possible.  It’s available in 60 cities, 20 different countries, and is slowly taking over the way we use taxi services.

Here’s how it works:

1. Download the free app for iPhone or Android.
  2. Make a free account.
  3. Set a pick up location using the GPS on your phone and tapping a spot on the map, so no worries if you’re in an unfamiliar place and don’t know the address.
  4. You are immediately connected with the nearest driver who sends a text message to let you he is on his way. As well as the fare estimate based on your location.
  5. Enjoy a care free ride home or to your next location.
  6. When the ride is over, no need to deal with cash or cards. You already pay using the card on your account, and Uber specifically says no tips. You’ll get a receipt in your email.
  7. After your ride, you can rate your driver and experience.

This is a new and exciting way to travel, and current users have lots of good things to say about it. It has a rating of 4.5 stars in the App Store and virtually no one has had a problem with the service. If you’re worried about driver safety, the drivers are insured, complete a background check, and must meet all local requirements and standards. 

It doesn’t get much easier than this. 

Rachel is a senior studying Business Management at the University of Hawaii at Manoa. She treads the fine line of busy colliegette and overwhelmed stress ball. She enjoys running, hiking, and being outdoors, but willing to trade that in for a day of netflix and intermittent naps.
Hawaii Contributor Account