Wellness > Sex + Relationships

What They Don’t Tell You About This Birth Control Method

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Many women use birth control, but what kind of birth control do you use? I have been on one type of birth control for three years–Depo-Provera. This method is said to be the most effective way to prevent pregnancies along with sterilization (which you probably won’t want to do unless you never want kids).

So what is Depo-Provera? Well, according to The Women’s Health Group, Depo-Provera is “a long-action form of birth control. It is an injection given every 12 weeks under a doctor’s supervision.” Once you get the injection, the progesterone injected into you prevents ovulation from happening. This way, no eggs can really be released into the uterus tube. The injection also creates a sort of “mucus wall” in your cervix, to prevent sperm from getting through. 

The first time you get the shot, you must wait a full 24 hours before it becomes effective. If you’ve already had the shot, you must go back to get an injection every 12 weeks or three months, for it to continue to become effective. If you get your next shot within twelve weeks, you don’t have to worry about waiting 24 hours, it is still effective. You will no longer have a period or menstrual cycle once you start the injection. 

Although Depo-Provera is said to be the most effective method of birth control, with less than one of every 100 women getting pregnant while using it, there are some risks that doctors either make light of or simply don’t mention at all. 

3. Nausea and headaches

During the three years that I was on the injection, I experienced headaches or migraines, about once every two weeks–sometimes even more. 

4. Loss of sex drive

Unfortunately, I was not informed about this when starting the shot. Virginia Beach OBGYN states, “Depo-Provera works by convincing the body that it is already pregnant, and inhibits estrogen production. Depo-Provera is a high dose of hormones and could lead to a decreased sex drive. Most women who get a Depo-Provera shot find that their sex drive decreases.” So because your body believes that it is pregnant, it makes sense that your sex drive would decrease. In addition, an interesting fact that I discovered in a women’s health chat group, is that the Depo-Provera drug is used as a “castration drug” on chronic sex-offenders. When injected into male sex-offenders, it is supposed to reduce their sex drive and sexual fantasies. 

Other side effects are irregular bleeding, stomach cramping, abdominal cramping, nervousness, dizziness, weakness/fatigue, and vaginal discharge and irritation.

6. It may take up to a year (4 months at the least) to gain your fertility back

It’s said to take up to a year or even two years to gain your fertility back, but some people can get pregnant after four months of stopping their injections. There’s really no way to tell how long it will take for you. If you are trying to get pregnant, take this into consideration. If you are not–still take this into consideration, and remember to use other forms of contraceptives. Just because some people will take longer to gain their fertility back, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be cautious about the possibility. If you do not get pregnant after 22 months of stopping the injection, it’s recommended that you see a doctor, though the injection is not said to be a cause of infertility. 

Ashley is a graduate of UH Manoa. She has her BA in English and is interested in creative non-fiction, poetry, travel writing, and journalism. She is a freelance writer, a previous editorial intern for Hawaii Home + Remodeling Magazine, and a previous features writer for her campus newspaper, Ka Leo O Hawaii. Her goal is to become an editor or an editorial assistant or a full-time travel writer. On her free time, she enjoys spending time with her dog, blogging, writing poetry, and reading! Check out Ashley's writing portfolio at ashleyinsong.com
Hawaii Contributor Account