This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hawaii chapter.

Resident Assistants, more famously known as “RAs,” get a super bad rep around college campuses. They’re known as snitches or narcs. But honestly, being an RA has been so amazing so far. Despite it having such a bad reputation from residents, I enjoy it so much. My interest first sparked when I watched this TikTok from Sam Vicchiollo, and I remember thinking to myself “Huh, it actually sounds fun being an RA.” So when a friend approached me saying that student housing sent out an email about hiring new RAs, I filled out the application form as soon as I could.

Being actual friends with my coworkers

Now to get into what I like about my job. I have had countless jobs before, and it was rare to find a job where you can be true friends with your coworkers. My old coworkers would be sweet to everyone’s faces but talk about every single person behind their backs. However, at my current job, we’re all actual friends. There’s no talking about each other behind people’s backs and if there is an issue, we openly communicate about it with one another. I’m not sure if it’s due to the nature of our job, since we’re all college students and employees, but it’s so refreshing to be here. We all genuinely get along with one another and have similar interests.

Prior to becoming an RA, I had a small interest in crystals and manifestation, and I found another RA who is very into it too. Guess who now has a whole collection of crystals because of their newfound knowledge from their friend? I do. (Not complaining, I love all my crystals.)

Planning programs and events for residents

This is one of my favorite things to do in the entire world. The entire process brings me pure joy: From coming up with ideas to the day of my programs, I LOVE IT SO MUCH. And this might be the control freak in me coming out, but my programs need to be fun and perfect. If it’s a type of program that I personally wouldn’t attend, why would I assume that any of my residents are going to join? They probably won’t. That’s why I’ve hosted programs like writing letters to our future selves and a bracelet making program. Fortunately, I’ve been blessed to have residents who enjoy seeing me and hanging out with me, so they come out and participate!

Hanging out and talking to residents

Due to the stereotypes about RAs, someone might assume that residents refuse to speak to their RA, but I’m glad that it’s the opposite for me. Hanging out with my residents has become such a huge part of my day that it feels off when they don’t stop by to talk to me or text me. The residents make up most of my job and my life has changed so much since I’ve met them. Although my residents only moved-in in August, I enjoy seeing how they’ve grown in the past few months. So many of them glow when speaking about their friends and how they enjoy their classes. And I try to be their biggest cheerleader. A resident tells me that they passed their Spanish test. What does RA Mary do? Say “OF COURSE YOU DID” and congratulate them.

The residents make up most of my job and my life has changed so much since I’ve met them.

There are so many more things about this job that I like. I like that I’ve never had a job that’s supported me in my educational journey so much. I also like that I’ve experienced a huge shift in my life thanks to this job. Are there days where I question whether I’m a good RA? There are more days than anyone could imagine. But would I ever regret becoming an RA? Never in a million years.

Aloha everyone! I'm Mary Joy, born and raised on the island of O'ahu. I'm a senior majoring in Business Management. On my free time, I enjoy finding new places to eat, spending time with friends, and taking naps :) I enjoy writing for HerCampus and showing everyone what I love about the island!